News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Chain spat an O ring

Started by Mick_J, Friday, 04 September 2020, 06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick_J

After washing my bike yesterday I noticed an O ring on the drive.  The only way to fix this (as far as I know) is to replace the link with a new soft rivet link.  Does anyone have any other simple solution to fix this?
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

grog

Hooli

Try & pull the chain of the back of the rear sprocket (away from the engine) if you can lift more than a couple of links you need a new chain so it's not worth fixing.

Mick_J

Chain is in very good condition, only has 6k on it.

Hooli

Quote from: mjgt on Friday, 04 September  2020, 07:52 PM
Chain was in very good condition, only has 6k on it.

Fixed that for you...

Odd it's spat an o-ring then.

KiwiCol

Is it an RK chain Mick?  I had one & it spat several x rings out & she was only newish, be about the same mileage as yours or less.  Replaced it with DID 530zvm blah blah  that one still on & works fine.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Roo

with just 6,000 kms on it I'd be thinkin keep it ?  Keep up with the lube (I lube every ride which is usually 200kms).
Keep an eye on it tho....

I'm always light on drivelines in my oold age, my last bike before the 14 was a gsxr1000 .At 53kms the chain was still in great nick and I had only adjusted it once!!!    (gentle old 71 yr old bloke  heh heh)

grog

Dont know mjgt brand but similar to you Col. RK seized a link, had always been pampered. I thought my gearbox was stuffed, so noisy. Went to EK, been good.

Mick_J

Its a DID HV3, which is an OEM chain and only available from the dealer but after a bit of detective work I have bought a new soft rivet link and will replace the damaged bit when it arrives.  Will replace it with a ZVN when the time comes.

steve porter

Any recourse?should last a lot longer than that, may be worth a phone call

Mick_J

Stock answer Steve.

"Sorry for the inconvenience sir but that is a consumable item and not covered by warranty"

steve porter

Yea probably, but a DID shouldn't do that in 6 K, having not bought a new chain for a bloody long time it's the brand I would have automatically turned to when the time comes as they had a good rep , now I'm not so sure

Mick_J

Agreed Steve but I have four bikes on chains and two of them have 55k between them with no issue, both are DID chains.  I have asked DID UK if there is anything I can claim, just waiting for a reply but I'm not holding my breath.

froudy

I always bought my chain and sprocket kits from Hunters Motorcycles on Ebay. Around £90 fror DID Gold X-Ring chain and JT sprockets. They came with a 12 month 15k warranty.
I know one of them spat an "O" ring, but I just ignored it and carried on with it until it was worn out and needed to be replaced.

I can't find Hunters at the mo, but this one will do the job.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSX1400-2002-DID-Gold-X-Ring-Chain-and-Sprocket-Kit/200810263830?fits=UKM_Make%3ASuzuki&hash=item2ec1397516:g:AacAAOSwpONZTor0
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

Dusty ST

I had a DID VX chain drop an X ring, at first I thought it was my overdoing the riveted joint, after it happen three times I checked the end link with a vernier. Turned out to be over size widthwise compared with the other links. Chain was replaced by BTR with no quibble and it's been fine ever since. Just got a bit expensive binning all the riveted links.
'02 GSX1400 K2
'08 1050 Sprint ST (RIP :( )
'17 1050 Tiger Sport

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk