News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Front and Rear Wheel Removal Tools

Started by gsxbarmy, Thursday, 31 August 2017, 04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxbarmy

There have been a couple of posts lately about front axle tools and what to buy. Essentially you'll need a 24mm hex bolt to insert (available off eBay) used with a 24mm socket (or you can buy a generic front wheel removal tool with all the sizes for a few bucks more)

Others on here have made their own by finding an appropriate bolt, welding on a nut, and utilising that.

However  - why not use the spanners available within your standard tool kit? In there you'll have a spark plug wrench, a sliding extender and also a 24mm spanner. Put spanner over the spark plug wrench, and insert the spark plug wrench into your front axle, slide the handle extender onto the end of the spanner - and there you have it (in the same way that there is a 36mm spanner in the toolkit which when used with the handle extender does your rear wheel nut).

Handy to know both options if caught out and on the road.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

grog

Thanks Barmy, didnt know that. Always had tools so never checked. Well done

KiwiCol

THB, my tool kit has never been opened to see what's in there!  Thx Dave, now I know I've got those 2 big ones covered on the roadside.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

gsxbarmy

Quote from: KiwiCol on Thursday, 31 August  2017, 05:37 PM
THB, my tool kit has never been opened to see what's in there!  Thx Dave, now I know I've got those 2 big ones covered on the roadside.

Can take a bit of grunt (and cursing) using them though Col, compared to having a nice big socket and bar to do the job! Or a nice size 10 boot on top and a bit of jumping up and down :whistling:
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

KiwiCol

Size 13 boot is always in attendance with me, I've a good foothold on the ground.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Timothy Spencer

...and of course to tighten them correctly you need to use a torque wrench. The on board tool kit is for emergency use as most.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk