News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

5xl winter gloves

Started by ringfeder3, Wednesday, 13 July 2022, 11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ringfeder3

I know Australia has fairly moderate winter temperatures compared to other parts of the world but in some parts, it still gets bloody cold.

My problem is this: I get very cold fingers from wind chill when riding. After a few kms, this becomes problematic when trying to use brake and clutch levers...

I wear heavy gloves with added merino liners.

I don't want to spoil the aesthetics of the bike with a fairing or other wind breaks.

I'm told heated handgrips won't stop the wind.

I've considered heated gloves but my hands are 5xl and even normal gloves are hard to source. I don't reckon they'd make them so big.

Has anyone got a suggestion other than cutting my fingers off?
I

Tally

Handlebar muffs are an option, detachable when you don't need them  :onya:

Hooli

I put ugly barkbusters off & took them off again when it warmed up. Worked ok along with heated grips, the back of my hands still got cold but it wasn't too bad.

Eric GSX1400K3

Have you tried theses gloves? I used to get the same frozen fingers, but not with these gloves.

I posted this on here before, but I don't know how to share the link.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

ringfeder3

grog

Bar end muffs/protecters i reckon. 5 xl gloves a rarity. Easy on/off, warm fingers. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/304368742191?hash=item46ddca6f2f:g:2hYAAOSwXGxiFQpT

Eric GSX1400K3

Fair call, mine are XL as per photos, I think they go up to 3xl in that style. The XL's are roomy maybe the 3xl would suit? Take a measurement of the widest part of your palm, usually just above the thumb to just under the pinky finger  and email them, they should be able to tell you what gloves will fit.

Failing that, heated grips and black bark busters?
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

Hand transplant might be easier?  :whatever:

Notty

Quote from: Hooli on Thursday, 14 July  2022, 08:07 PM
Hand transplant might be easier?  :whatever:
Lots of second hand shops around  :rofl2: :rofl2:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

frenchgixxer

Have you tried gauntlets instead of gloves? Could also try handlebar muffs or wind deflectors if you cannot find suitable gloves. If your fingers are dropping off and you're more concerned with aesthetics then perhaps you should just take the bus lol. Joking aside, I commuted daily, all through the year and in all weathers, for more than 20 years and have had more than my share of icy extremities so know that feeling well.
Question everything

Batkwaka

5XL...That 1400 must look like a scooter under you?
May the sun be warm & shining and your roads be smooth & winding.

Nic

When it comes to freezing your fingers off I don't care how it looks. I have hand guards from an SV1000, heated grips, but the main thing, I wear big gauntlet sheepskin mittens. I bought the mittens from NZ, they only go to the wrist, I got some extra sheepskin, gave it a haircut and hand sewed the gauntlet extension on. They beat gloves every time, I've been known to start off on a 70K ride at zero C temps, the end of the thumb still gets cold at those temps though.
Yeah I know, they look great don't they  :grin:

grog

Nic, ugg boot gloves. Reckon you could market them. 👍

Mick_J

I bought two pairs of bike mits years ago when I lived in Scotland, pair for me and a pair for her indoors.  They were honda branded and came with a waterproof cover which packed away in the gauntlet when not needed, they were blood marvellous in the depths of winter.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk