News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Engine casings refurb

Started by Slimwich, Saturday, 25 April 2020, 09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slimwich

Up until recently I used my bike as a daily commuter no matter the weather so it was never in the best condition to start with. But now I have a car I would like to try and get it looking as good as possible as I'm not having to ride it out of necessity.

I goofed up by not giving it a proper clean before putting it in my garage for the last few months so that hasn't helped. 

Anyway to the point, I'm looking for any suggestions of how I would get the casings and the engine itself looking better, and what tools I may need to do so.

Cheers in advance

gsxbarmy

Wow - probably looks worse than it actually is though

First off - I'd give it a good cold soapy wash - whilst that may sound silly, if there is still any salt on those casings, then a cold wash will get it off (a warm or hot wash will activate the salt).

Once the engine is dry again, I'd then give the engine area a good going over with SDoc100 Gel Engine cleaner nice thing about SDoc 100 Gel, is that whilst its a bit pricier than other cleaners, first its damn good, but secondly being a gel is it sticks to the casings to actually work its way into any grease or grime rather than drip off like Muc-off can. Agitate it with a brush for those really grimy areas (a long handled angled brush from B&Q is good for this), leave for about 30 mins and then jet wash off. Afterwards, finish with a nice hot soapy wash and allow the engine to dry.

After that we can assess any "damage" - really in cleaning it up, it depends whether you want polished or powder coated casings, but until we know quite what the damage is - which is hard to tell whilst its still grubby. Cleaning it as above will at least make it look a lot better and allow an assessment to be made.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Notty

Oh dear !! as Dave says they may come up with hours of tender loving care- mine looked like this  but did come back :bugga:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Del

I had similar issues as you do - I commute in all weathers and there is a lot of rain north of teh border - got sick of polishing so painted them all

All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk