News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Aftermarket mini fairing install?

Started by Coopz, Wednesday, 03 April 2024, 06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopz

Hey all I went to a swap meet a few weeks ago and this guy was selling these aftermarket fairings for XJR13s. I liked the look and he said it should fit most naked Japanese bikes so I bought one (they weren't expensive).

Just having a crack at installing it and it's tricky. The holes line up perfectly with the headlight but I can't think of a way to mount it.. (small brain).

The headlight has to be mounted to the housing as it doesn't fit through the fairing. That makes it impossible to put the bolt through the fairing into the headlight then tighten.

It came with some mounting brackets but they are useless and bit at all suited to this fairing.

The only option I can think of is to somehow widen the headlight housing on the plastic but it would be a fiddle job. So it can be mounted over the light.

Any ideas welcome.

GSXKING

Was it cheap ?
If yes throw it, if not, get your money back 👍
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Coopz

Quote from: GSXKING on Wednesday, 03 April  2024, 08:57 AMWas it cheap ?
If yes throw it, if not, get your money back 👍

He was selling them for $100 but I haggled him to $60 as it had a scratch on it.

No refunds....

I saw one on instagram and liked the look of it. Nfi how he installed it though.

KiwiCol

Sounds like one for Barmy, he had one of these I think.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

By look of last pic, must be brackets off headlight bolts for outside bolts to screw into.I have headlight fairing that bolts for light hold on. Ive offered it for free but no takers.

Phill P

Quote from: grog on Wednesday, 03 April  2024, 04:42 PMBy look of last pic, must be brackets off headlight bolts for outside bolts to screw into.I have headlight fairing that bolts for light hold on. Ive offered it for free but no takers.

Yup just as as you said, bolts on inside of headlight,locking nut to the outside of the headlight, open up the fairing holes slightly and job done

mlivkovich

I have similar fairing on my bike, bolts go from inside.
And gpz900r screen is almost bolt on for that fairing ;)

gsxbarmy

@Coopz Trying to remember how mine fitted. From memory, there were some small elongated 'S' brackets which you bolted on using the headlamp bolts, and then had these bolted to the two holes in the side (as in what you have on your fairing). there was also an additional bolt on a long 'L' bracket which bolted into a hole in the fairing underneath the headlamp, going back (I think) to the brake line splitter (or somewhere on the lower yoke).

So essentially what you need to find - or need to manufacture - are these elongated "S" brackets to fit between the headlamp bolts and the fairing, allowing for some thick rubber damping where they bolt onto the fairing.

I had a Skidmarx cockpit fairing on my 14 - which is not dissimilar to what you have - what you could so is contact Skidmark to see if you can purchase a cockpit fairing mounting kit, they are pretty helpful people and I don't think it will be that expensive. Not saying it will fit, but the brackets should be a pretty good match which if they don't line up you can tweak

SO you need the tailored fitting kit for this fairing https://skidmarx.co.uk/fairings-lowers/gsx-1400-gs-cockpit-fairing-kit
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk