Change your Chain and Sprockets

Started by gsxbarmy, Sunday, 05 February 2017, 03:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andre

Checked it. The front sprocket nut is 32 mm.

mt.b

Thanks for the socket size. The speed sensor was harder to get off than the engine sprocket nut! I bought a 450mm breaker bar along with a 32mm socket. It did the job with ease. Thanks for the info on the clutch push rod. It's got the prescribed TLC :smitten:
Now it's a waiting game for the post to deliver a DID 530ZVM-X and standard tooth count RK front & rear sprockets.

grog

mt.b, well done mate, superb result. Your bike will be so nice with new chain/ sprockets, i love that feel/sound. Dont forget some threadlock on fr sprocket nut, good insurance i reckon. Look after that new chain, will last a long time. 14 only chew chains because of negligence. Cleanliness the main thing, i use brake cleaner. Lots have diff ideas but thats life. My only lube is Castrol VMX, again lots agree/ disagree. Your a winner mate.

Sweaty

mt.b, as Grog said, you won't beleive the difference that the new chain & sprockets make. I swapped to the exact same chain & it took all the gear change surging away (could never get a smooth pick up, without the initial clunk) from the worn chain and it transformed it to a smooth beast.
Kerosine for cleaning & Penrite 85w-140 gear oil for me.

Hooli

Check your rear sprocket carrier bearing while you're there. They never last as long as a chain for me & those failing is often what kills the chain.

Andre

Be careful not to overtighten the rear sprocket nuts. The correct torque is 60 Nm! Several places in the manual state 102 Nm - very wrong :thumbs_down:

mt.b

It's Friday here in Australia and my parts didn't arrive. I did check all the rear bearings and suffered no casualties. I also managed to fit a rear Battlax S22.  The front I did last weekend, so it's not all bad.

grog

Mt.b, as advised, grab a sprocket bearing. Strange size, not at bearing shops. Cant rem where i got last one, will have a look. Interested to see how Bridgy goes, im not a fan of Bridgestone but get good reviews.

Hooli

Bearing shops around here always have them, it's the dust seal (always replace that too as they wear out in no time) that no-one seems to stock near me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk