News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Anyone ridden a kwaka zx1400

Started by Nic, Monday, 18 March 2024, 05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roo

I'll admit to sitting on a new Busa last week.   Popped in to my local shop for a coffee and there it was in shiny orange.
But nah love my 1400, and I was reminded why I sold my gsxr1000 K6. My legs/knees don't like the high pegs...
The 1400 is my 56 th bike and will probably see me out (I'm 75 on 10th April ).
Which reminds me ,by then I'll have 60 years of riding under my belt...

Nic

I rode into Canberra today to ride 2 ZX14s at a difference bike shop. One an 07, the other an 06. I tell ya, they were both pieces of shit. I marvel at how bike shops won't do a bloody thing to make a used bike sellable. Neither of them ran like you'd want, I got out on the 2nd one only then did I realise it had no mirrors  :happy1:
 I'm starting to get the picture, if you want an even half decent bike you have to buy private.
I wish I had the funds, I'd just bite the bullet and get a busa. I'm 70 n I didn't mind the low bars and the high pegs, if only the bikes weren't crap.

KiwiCol

Roo, I think you may be our oldest member still riding.  I'll see what info can be dug out of the database
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

MickyJB

Owned a GTR1400 for a year it was a nice bike, what turned me off was the plastics and amount of time spent removing them to change an air filter. Also factor in 10 hours to check the shims quoted by a Kwacka dealer .. longer if any need changing. 

I love the naked bikes,
Mick
08 Special Edition
Ulysses 69619

Kiwifruit

Bit late but hope you had a great Birthday Roo  :cheers:  :)
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Roo

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Friday, 12 April  2024, 03:26 PMBit late but hope you had a great Birthday Roo  :cheers:  :)
Cheers bud,   hopin to get out for a ride but finally the rain has come to the Horowhenua.  Lawns are all brown so we need it..
Be another week yet ? 
ps had to renew my licence for 75yrs, Med cert and some stupid questions for $90 then $21 for the Licence....  Repeat again for Licence at 80 yrs  fark ! question is will I still be riding ?  lol.

grog

A bloody good effort Roo. I struggle sometimes at 68.ive thought about a lighter bike but nothing i like.

Nic

Well I bought one, it's an 07 model, 61tho Ks, it has 1" bar risers, full 4:1 yoshi exhaust. It looks black but in the sun it has blue sparkle through the black paint, absolutely stunning to look at. Double bubble screen, rear seat cowl, unfitted Ventura. The guy was such a nice bloke, I had to travel 3 hours in the car and ride the bike home, the owner did an oil and filter change and gave me 10 more ltrs of oil.
Anyway I had a few hours to ride her home and find out a little about it. I'm pretty sure I would have been sorer on the Suzuki. I stopped for one break, strangely it wasn't my arse that got sore but my groins and inner legs, I think that's just from riding longer than I have in eons. My hands did finally need a break but all in all I'm pretty happy with how it is to ride.
I've been wanting to get out of the wind for ages, yesterday it was a cloudless beautiful 20° and 25K winds so I got to see how she fares in the wind, there's no way I could ride the Suzuki all afternoon in those winds, I was cruising at 120 kph on the Hume, I figure that's about 115 real at the most in a 110 speed limit?? I reckon now I can ride no matter the wind and that's a real win for me.
And let's not even talk about the power, FFS, say no more.
The old owner was quite concerned for me and begged me to take it easy on more than one occasion which I did, my main objective was to get home without being booked, I "think" I achieved that. I gave it a little squirt coming back onto the freeway after my break. You just marvel at that kind of power, quicker than a busa. Has power commander so the speed restriction has been bypassed, the guy said he's had it to 300kph but it will do 335, oh that'll come in real handy.
Anyway here she is, I still have the 1402 but not sure for how much longer. Now the getting to know the bike starts in Ernest.

grog

Well done Nic.They are awesome bikes but but be careful with that licence, so easy to be fast

KiwiCol

Good on ya Nic, you've scratched an itch!
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Kiwifruit

Smart looking bike Nic. Be careful out there. It looks fast in the photo !!
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

VladTepes

Very nice,  I've ridden and would buy if I could afford a 1400GTR  :)
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Nic

Thank you for all the well wishes, I do appreciate it.
Well I've had it now for a few days and it's already costing me. Had to order a front michi road 6 to go with the rear, while the front has plenty of tread it is starting to square off and when I checked the date it was 2012 :facepalm:
So $300 for a tyre, it's being delivered to my house, I will fit it myself. The suspension was set really by someone who knows nothing about bike suspension. Luckily I do so it now rides so much better even with the crap front tyre. Being a new old bike there are lots of things to check, I will get to them one at a time. These bikes not having a centre stand are a real pita, I have a rear paddock stand but have had to order a front one, it would be so much easier with a centre stand, Kawasaki does sell one but they won't sell it online. If I want to take the rear shock out I'll have to winch it up by a chain to the shed rafters, same if I want to do the fork oil.
Very soon I want to remove the pair valve rubbish, the bike pops quite a lot on decel. While I'm at that I'll check the plugs. To do anything you need to start removing plastic, I knew this going in but still it's a pita as well. I've ordered oxford heated grips and battery tender wires. Even the battery is behind plastic.
The wonderful space under the Suzuki seat is nowhere to be found on the ZX, there is absolutely NO room under the seat.
I am already more than aware of how hard it is to keep the bike at legal hi way speeds, really easy to look down n see you are doing 120 when only 3 seconds earlier you were on 100. I'm told I'll get used to it.
Supposed to have 3000Ks on the chain n front sprocket, when I have the rear wheel off I'll check the sprocket, the carrier bearing and the cush drive rubbers for play. Wheel bearing as well.
Brake pads, coolant, fork oil, fork seals, the list goes on n on, steering bearings and lube. It's just the price you pay when you buy a used bike.
Apart from all that hooey, what a freakin bike it is. I'm looking forward to the ride improving with the new tyre and the pair system removed. Simple things like dropping the idle speed 100 revs so it goes into gear easier, neutral esp and the suspension settings that were completely wrong and really, impossible to understand, the bike should ride so much better. I don't really mind all the work, it gives me something to do.
Cheers men.

Nic

GSXKING

You should probably invest in some form of cruise control to keep your license 😈😈😈
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk