News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

BMW S1000R

Started by Mick_J, Friday, 28 July 2023, 08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick_J

Got the chance to have a ride on a BMW S1000R yesterday, so here's what I thought of it.  Just getting on it felt familiar as all the controls were the same as my R1200r, the only difference being the now mandatory TFT screen.  This by default displays revs, speed, gear, time and trip with a row of lights down both sides for the usual lights, abs, neutral, high beam etc.  It has several pages of info on the bike and it's settings but I just left it as it was.  The handlebar grips are standard across the range, on the right side there is the mode switch, heated grips and starter button, left grip has cruise control, headlight flasher, info button suspension setting switch indicators and horn as well as the magic wheel for scrolling through menus and controlling the sat nav if fitted.  The seat is typical BMW, rock hard but I was used to it so no problem for me.  As you would expect fit and finish are first rate everything looks very good quality and the bike looked great.
The clutch lever had been set to activate immediately so I had a bit of a kangaroo start as I messed about with it to get a smooth take off but I soon adjusted that.  I headed for one of my favourite roads and found the bike to be very responsive especially when I selected Dynamic mode, throttle response was instant and quite aggressive.  Changing gear was exceptional going up the box and although I don't particularly like quick shifters it was seamless, dropping down through the box was less pleasant and needed a firm press, not really helped by the gear lever (and the rear brake lever) being very short so I missed a couple of times, I expect you would get used to it as time went on.  It is quite low geared with 4000 revs showing 58 MPH but it's very smooth and pulls effortlessly from 2000 revs in any gear.
The handling was fantastic requiring virtually no rider input to go round a corner, see a corner pick your line and the bike just obeys.  Braking was equally good so full braking can be achieved with two fingers and a little touch on the rear brake pedal (when I could find it).  I don't know if they are linked but the ABS didn't cut in at any time as my R1200r often does.  When it came time to overtake I just pulled out to ensure the road ahead was clear and twisted the throttle, it really didn't matter what gear I was in the bike just took off and I was past in no time, the engine is well set up and the fuelling is perfect.  The cruise control came in handy as Wales seems to be going all out on 20mph speed limits if there is a house within a mile of the road so I left it set to 20 and just eased through the villages I went through, brilliant.
So what's not to like.  I could not fault the bike, it's a nutters dream if you want it to be but you can ride sensibly if you want to.  Engine, gearbox, brakes worked faultlessly, the handling was superb and it even sounded good (a decent slip on might make it sound better) but I couldn't fault it except for the size of it, it's very small and although my legs fitted into the tank cut out as if it was designed for me the bike is a small bike so for short blast it's brilliant but for day out on the road it might prove to be too small for anyone over 6'.  But what a great experience it was to ride it.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

grog

Great write up Mick. Enjoy youre test ride thoughts.I used to do the test rides lots but not many shops close by now.Ive watched an old bloke locally, he started on little 300 BMW,very wobbly. Hes gone thru the ranks, 2 or 3 mid range, his ride now is 1000r. Must be slowest bloke in the world on one. He rides it every day, rain, hail or shine.  :hat:

Mick_J

Thanks grog, I'm no writer but I just thought I would pass on my impressions of each bike I get a ride on.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

GSXKING

I think the naked version is a lot more fun. However it's still a licence loser imho.
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

gsxbarmy

If you think the S1000R is a licence loser, try the M1000R - OMG, it's a missile! Test rode one the other week and ye gods it was quick!!!!
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

VladTepes

I've known a few owners and they have all loved these bikes.
I too found it a bit small - but no more so that a Ducati 916 or bikes of that ilk.

Having said that I do love the older 'analogue' bikes as opposed to so much 'digital' stuff these days.

Having said that if there was ONE modern thing I could put on our 1400s it would be cruise control.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Hooli

Quote from: VladTepes on Tuesday, 08 August  2023, 02:42 PMHaving said that if there was ONE modern thing I could put on our 1400s it would be cruise control.

Aye, having always thought it'd be useless on a bike I find it use it all the time on my HD. It's as handy around town on long bits of road where the scamera vans always sit as it is on motorways.

gsxbarmy

Quote from: VladTepes on Tuesday, 08 August  2023, 02:42 PMHaving said that if there was ONE modern thing I could put on our 1400s it would be cruise control.

@VladTepes Your wish and all that - GSX1400 Electronic Cruise Control - not cheap though ("only" $1,364AUD or £705 Sterling - Bargain!!)
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

grog

Reckon hell order one tonight Barmy.  :rofl2:

KiwiCol

The genuine, made in USA, "Brakeaway Cruise Control" is a perfectly adequate and cheaper alternative to horrendously expensive & complicated units.  IMO   

Here's the link to the genuine site, if anyone is interested.  https://brakeawayproducts.com/
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

GSXKING

That looks like a good alternative to an electronic one.
I'll consider one of those after I do some measurements 👍
Will save me on my commute to work from the over zealous speed police 🤞🤞🤞
Chris

KiwiCol

Quote from: GSXKING on Wednesday, 09 August  2023, 06:31 AMThat looks like a good alternative to an electronic one.
I'll consider one of those after I do some measurements 👍
Will save me on my commute to work from the over zealous speed police 🤞🤞🤞

Just make sure you get one for 22mm bars, not 25mm.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

Not sure how many cars ive had with cruise control, guessing 6 or 7. Never used, just dont like it. Yes, have tried to like but just not for me. Throttle Rocker on 14, would never not have. I know others hate them, wish id had one back in Ducati days, return springs on those big Dellortos sure were strong.

GSXKING

As a truck driver doing 10-12 hours a day, 5 days a week for 20 years, cruise control has saved me many many times from speeding offences 🙏🙏
I use it in my car & my BMW RT has it also. Stops a lot of fatigue on longhaul trips 🏍�👍
Chris

Hooli

I don't know the name but a mate has a black plastic clip that fits around the inside end of the throttle grip. Push it forwards with your thumb & it grips the grip & leans on the brake lever to hold the throttle on. If I could remember the name long enough I'd consider one on my 14.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk