News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Spanish Rules on Intercoms

Started by Bruno, Saturday, 02 September 2017, 10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno

Hi Everyone, It's been a few years now since I toured Spain 10 in fact, Does anyone know what is the rule about helmet intercoms actually is. On some sites I've been on I get conflicting answers, some say it's illegal some say it's not. From what I can make out a lot of guys are just taking no notice and using them, I would just like some clarification on how I stand. For the last few years we have been touring France, Switzerland Italy etc with no problem. Any help would be grateful.
Loud pipes save lives.

KiwiCol

I can't help on the question of if they're illegal or not, but what could they possibly have against helmet intercoms to make them illegal?  That's just potty!
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

gsxbarmy

:google:  @Bruno

I googled this and found a link to this exact question on one of the Spanish Insurance company websites

https://www.motor.mapfre.es/motos/noticias/5147/intercomunicadores-moto-legalidad-funciones

Ok it's in Spanish, so you need to translate it into English, but here's essentially what it says:

Using the handsfree in the car is already a common action for most drivers and also increases safety during traffic if a telephone call is taken. However, it is possible for drivers of two-wheeled vehicles not to know that there are motorcycle intercoms: their legality and functions . And it is that there are times in which to take a call is necessary, especially when we make a long journey, but it must also be done in a safe way and within the legality.

Legality of intercoms

To answer the question of whether the intercoms are legal, we must pay attention to whether they are approved or not, and if they work through the Bluetooth that we normally use in our phone. But, in addition, the intercom that we use must allow to hear the ambient sound, since it is necessary that we receive the acoustic signals of, for example, a semaphore, or those sounds that can alert us of a danger of which we can not only realize with the view.

To enable this, helmets with this feature include a speaker that is installed inside and close to our ear. It should never be a headset that we insert into our ear. Also, the microphone should be located at the height of our mouth.

Also, the intercom should allow you to pick up the call without this involving using your hands, which must be on the handlebar at all times. Failure to comply with these requirements can be punished, as it means that the helmet is not within the homologated intercoms.

Intercoms that can be purchased in the market

As an example, we indicate some intercoms that we can find in the market:

- SHO-1 Duo Thistle : includes a voice control system and allows you to communicate with up to eight additional users within a 1.6-kilometer radius.

- Nolan N-Com B1.4 : offers full duplex intercom, quality audio and microphone audio cushioning.

- Schuberth SRC-System C3 : is an intercom created for the C3 hull. It is an integrated communication system at the nape of the neck and is easy to install. Among its characteristics, it stands out that allows communication between two bikes that are up to 300 meters away and in which up to 3 riders participate.

- Cardo Scala Rider Q3 MUultiset : allows communication between four users that are up to one kilometer away.

In addition, many motorbike intercoms allow users, in addition to answering phone calls, to listen to the radio or their favorite music while driving, or follow the directions indicated by the GPS.

Thus,  intercoms, their legality and functions  will allow drivers to circulate safely avoiding impacts that can happen through a distraction, such as looking away from the road to answer a call. In addition, to increase safety and protection against accidents related to two-wheeled vehicles, drivers must have a Motorcycle Insurance , with coverage and quality services.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Bruno

Many Thanks gsxbarmy, That's sounds pretty good to me, and thanks for taking the trouble to find it out. So to more or less clarify as long as you don't actually have anything inserted in your ear your ok. I've watched blokes on youtube wired up to each other touring Spain, so we agreed we would use them but just i saw the bit on a website that wasn't very clear. Last time we toured Spain we got done nearly every day for something or other, even got done for travelling to close to each other. Cheers.
Loud pipes save lives.

Andre

Quote from: Bruno on Wednesday, 06 September  2017, 02:36 AM
Last time we toured Spain we got done nearly every day for something or other, even got done for travelling to close to each other.

Couldn't have been too bad, or are you guys masochists? For my taste I rather ride where I am not seen as easy pray to fill state coffers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk