Donatello's money pit

Started by Donatello, Monday, 10 June 2019, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seth

only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

KiwiCol

If not, check your junk folder, sometimes the computer automatically puts new stuff in the junk folder, been caught before myself.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Donatello

Quote from: seth on Saturday, 22 June  2019, 05:58 AM
@Donatello did you get my pm  ?

I got your PM :)

I got out early today since I recieved a package yesterday, its just a test fit, I need to clean them up a little and find some yellow paint to touch up minor scuffmarks.
I'm also cleaning up the garage before I continue since I can't find most of my tools  :lol:

grog

Are the xjr ohlins a good replacement?

seth

@grog
They are similar quality to the Suzuki std shocks and have the same fittings but I belive they are very slightly shorter than the gsx shocks
:cheers:

Sethbot Postwhore

grog

Thanks Seth. So a good option if my standard ever stuff up. I like the stock ones, had them serviced by shop, not a lot of money, seem to work for me. I dont think i need to spend lots for any better. Bike never wallows or snakes, rebuilding was a great option in my books.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: grog on Saturday, 22 June  2019, 07:09 PM
Are the xjr ohlins a good replacement?

Lower spec aren't they ?

Suzuki shocks are 3 way adjustable.

Mick_J

I think you are right Tony, they are a lower spec.  Yamaha only got away with the ohlins badge as they own ohlins so can do what they want.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

seth

I think the xjr so models had semi adjustable rear shocks.
The stand model were lower spec .
Only so were originally badged ohlins but I think they used these shocks on all later models . :onya:

Sethbot Postwhore

Tony Nitrous

Yamaha used to be part owner of a Ohlins, they no longer own a controlling share.

They had enough control over the company in the past to put gold paint and a sticker on some not so special shocks.

The XJR Ohlins I've seen didn't have compression, preload and rebound adjustment.

seth

@Tony Nitrous
You could only adjust the spring preload nothing else
I fitted a set to my older xjr when I had it that the only reason I know .
:cheers:

Sethbot Postwhore

Donatello

I tried restoring the oil cooler but gave up, now I'm looking for an after market one and came across these two:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Oil-Cooler-for-Suzuki-GSX1400-2001-2006-Direct-Aluminium-Replacement/333106433873?hash=item4d8eb0cf51:g:iEsAAOSw9r1V8uDq&frcectupt=true

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSX-1400-OIL-COOLER-NEW-MODIFIED-FLANGES/400620995355?epid=1062998404&hash=item5d46df431b:g:KqoAAOxyCGNTNBc~&frcectupt=true

I know HEL also makes one but it's to expensive and I don't like the looks of the HEL version.

Which of these two can you guys recommend?

seth

Sethbot Postwhore

Blubber

I have a oil cooler from Aaron Radiators om my 1400.

Fitment to the frame, fan and oil lines are spot on.

Despite their claim that the side covers will fit, they do not. Easy fix,  just Shorten either the top or lower "ears" and drill a new hole.

I couldn't be bothered to mention this to them...emailing them would take me longer than the actual fix.

Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

Villiam3rd

Quote from: Donatello on Sunday, 23 June  2019, 09:20 PM
I tried restoring the oil cooler but gave up, now I'm looking for an after market one and came across these two:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Oil-Cooler-for-Suzuki-GSX1400-2001-2006-Direct-Aluminium-Replacement/333106433873?hash=item4d8eb0cf51:g:iEsAAOSw9r1V8uDq&frcectupt=true

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-GSX-1400-OIL-COOLER-NEW-MODIFIED-FLANGES/400620995355?epid=1062998404&hash=item5d46df431b:g:KqoAAOxyCGNTNBc~&frcectupt=true

I know HEL also makes one but it's to expensive and I don't like the looks of the HEL version.

Which of these two can you guys recommend?

I just fitted the coolex version on my bike.
Paint job on the cooler is poor, paint is all soft and will come off even with the slightest scrape.
I have aftermarket radiator cover that needed filing in the mounting holes to make it fit.
But still i'm pretty happy with it, seems to do its job as a cooler well :onya:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk