News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

2 up for the first time

Started by Suzuki boi, Tuesday, 29 October 2019, 04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suzuki boi

Well lads and lassies.
I'm planning on going for a spin with the missus on the back for the first time.
First time her being a pillion and first time me having a pillion
Any advice/tips?
Also anything I should adjust on the bike it bar tyre pressure?

Irish in Oz

I won't worry about any mod's, just take it easy don't scare the crap out of her. If she likes the bike as much as my missus then later on you can really open it up.

Andre

Take it VERY EASY with the throttle!
Plant your feet firmly and she should wait for your ok before she gets on or off!
Front 2.5 bar, rear 2.9 bar.
Add one ring of preload to the rear shocks for every 20 kg she weighs.
Add one click of compression damping.

Pick a sunny, dry, low windy day. No rush-hour. Choose roads with light or no traffic.

Hooli

Make sure she knows to lean with the bike, not try to stay upright or get further over than the bike is.

Oh & brake early, or she'll side into you, push you forwards & crush ya nuts on the tank.

MarkN

You can buy things called love handles. Basically a belt to go round your middle with a handle on each side for the pillion to hold onto. I used this when my daughter first started riding pillion. A top box can help to stop her feeling like she might come off, too. Good luck  :)

Batkwaka

Engine braking tends to make the bike pitch less and smooths the ride a bit more.
May the sun be warm & shining and your roads be smooth & winding.

Kiwifruit

Some may disagree but.......
Add 2psi to your tyre pressures.

Then only change one thing at a time. That one thing is you have your missus as your pillion..
Don't get too adventurous with the distance you travel. She will be nervous so will get tired.
We have only one rule....if l scare her she wont get on again. l respect that.
Get her to relax and be as one with the bike. You have to ride the bike the smoothest you can.
After a few rides start to makes changes to the bike if needed. One change at a time. Dress well.
Enjoy your ride.   :cheers:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Beast

Still on the 14

grog

All the above. My wife 45kg so dont really have to change much. She gets on first, always have front brake on. You certainly need to pay attention to extra weight around town. I find that bike actually sits better, more stable on highway. Mines a seasoned rider/pillion so i dont really change riding style. No real fast stuff is my rule. Biggest bonus is the front wheel lifts up much easier, usually get a slap afterwards.  :clapping:

steve porter

I've taken a lot of first time pillions, including laps of Philip island, the best advice I could give you is to tell the missus to do absolutely nothing and to  pretend to be a sack of potatoes, and for you to use your rear brake first,to settle the bike before using the front and to change your braking ratio from 90/10 to about 6o/40 and let off the front brake before the rear when coming to a stop so the bike doesn't dive and pitch her forward

grog

Mate, ill try the sack of potatos on her. reaction could be, well, reactionary. Just joking,know what you mean, just sit there. Sheepskin for us is best ever result, no sliding. I even put another for her on top of my full seat cover.She never moves.  Rack n bag on rear for two up, shes comfy. Can lean back.

Speedy1959

I sometimes take an X girlfriend on Sophie.
She's a natural at being a pillion. She's so neutral I have to check she's still actually onboard.
If I'm about to overtake briskly I tap her knee first so she's ready.
She's far from a nervous pillion. In fact it's her that usually encourages briskness. 
One aspect of my riding with her onboard is my gear changes.
I can change both up and down WITHOUT getting the rear of my helmet bashed. 
Last time she was out with me I had 1 helmet bash in about 160 miles caused when I had no choice but to brake suddenly.
S.

Mister Fishfinger

Sack of potatoes = good
Barrel of water = bad

Irish in Oz

seth

Just take it easy and enjoy .
You know you can rode as quick as you like she doesn't need to find this out .
Help her enjoy the ride too .
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk