Just painted my block with High Heat Enamel - looks great!

Started by SA14, Monday, 07 September 2020, 09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SA14

So I'm restoring my 2008 K7 from having sat uncovered near the ocean for 2 years followed by an unwashed 3 year spell in a (thankfully dry) garage. All the allows were pretty bad but that's another thread. One of the things that made me whince was the pitted and chipped engine block so while at the local hardware multi national I asked for the paint guy's advice and he was very helpful. Asked me what sheen I wanted and what it was for. I was looking at another paint and he suggested this Dulux Duramax high heat BBQ enamel in a spray can. Good for up to 690c.

My initial intention was to give it a super light brush on coating because I didn't want to mask up the whole bike but as it turns out I went a bit berzerk on the taping and even though I intially sprayed it onto the brush and started dabbing it in between the fins I noticed that the spray was quite narrow so gave it a bit of a squirt and found it was very controllable. I was spraying quite close though and I must say that even though the sheen is a bit blunt for my liking (me likey shiney things) I think it came out pretty bloody good. I was genuinely surprised.

First step was a clean with cold soapy water (as per the advice on this forum - see...I do read) in case there was any salt remaining. Then I folded up some 400 grit paper over a small sponge which allowed me to get in between the fins quite easily. Then I used Isopropyl Alcohol 70/30 with water as a clean down and started brushing for 10% then sprayed for 90%. A few light coats then a few minutes later (it says only 2 minutes between coats) some nice heavy even coats. Then it says let it sit for an hour then get that mother as hot as you can.

Thankfully there's only one way I know to get a hot block and it aint idling in the shed making my doggo cough. So once I pealed off all the tape (feel free to lol at my over the top taping job) I started it and let it idle for a bit then went out for a 40km ride. No fumes no nothing and in the light of day I nodded at my effort and I'm pleased.

What are your thoughts on the sheen...is it close enough?...and now...Pics!

Stargazer

Thanks for the write up and tips.  That's one of the jobs I need to do to mine, I'm in the UK so wondering if this is available in the UK.  I'll have to do some research.

Did you just do the sides?  The front  on mine is pretty bad so i will have to take the headers off...

seth

@Stargazer
I'm sure @gsxbarmy recommended a b&q BBQ paint but he'll see this and confirm or correct me .
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

SA14

Quote from: Stargazer on Tuesday, 08 September  2020, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the write up and tips.  That's one of the jobs I need to do to mine, I'm in the UK so wondering if this is available in the UK.  I'll have to do some research.

Did you just do the sides?  The front  on mine is pretty bad so i will have to take the headers off...

I was aiming to do the sides, fronts and backs of the left and right most "barrels" but I ended up squirting some into the middle areas as well but I didn't do any prep deep in the middle at the rear and the front middle wasn't that badly pitted and chipped. I wasn't aiming for show quality though, just for a large improvement. I'm sure on closer inspection the show judges would shake their heads but my dog seems to think it looks ok. The white/silver chips along all the fins in the before photos just had to go and I was surprised and pleased how good it ended looking. A pleasant and unexpected surprise. Take two steps back and it looks great.

Still have the forks to improve but for that I have to figure out how to remove the mudguards and front wheel. I was watching closely while getting my tyres changed yesterday and have decided to just buy new aluminum side covers from Suzuki because they were surprisingly cheap. They won't be super super shiny (although I might go to town on my old ones for a hobby) but slowly I'm getting it to look like a normal 14 again. Not looking to win any shows - just want to blend in with a normal stock looking 14.

As for the UK, I'm sure there's an equivalent high heat BBQ enamel paint available or a pot belly black, something with a medium sheen. It was surprisingly easy to get a not bad result though so I'd definietly suggest doing it yourself and not worrying too much about the middle as that's largely hidden. After what I've heard on here about broken header studs I'm not going near mine. A quick rub down and clean up with any sandpaper you have lying around, some super quick and rough masking and squirt away. You'll also be surprised at the improvement and it's an easy 2 hour job. Might need beer though.

Now the block looks ok I kind of wished I'd done the head fins too but they look good enough for now. I gave them a rub with some 2,000 grit and they cleaned up ok. Doggo and I are the only ones who look at it anyway.

Quote from: seth on Tuesday, 08 September  2020, 08:11 AM
@Stargazer
I'm sure @gsxbarmy recommended a b&q BBQ paint but he'll see this and confirm or correct me .
:cheers:

Cool! I took a punt that it'd stick. Didn't even know it was a thing. I just wanted those chips and pits to go away. They were making me 3% sadder than necessary.

gsxbarmy

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

SA14

Yeah I was worried about the matt finish and didn't want that. This one has enough sheen to please me. I rejected a few other high temp finishes that were full matt and too glossy. I wanted it to be just right.

Hooli

Last time I painted barrels I used something called engine barrel paint or similar, if I ever find the tin I need to use it again on the Bonnie.

SA14

Quote from: Hooli on Wednesday, 09 September  2020, 05:14 PM
Last time I painted barrels I used something called engine barrel paint or similar, if I ever find the tin I need to use it again on the Bonnie.

Yeah, there is the proper gear but I just wanted to improve it a little and blend some of the white pits away but it turned out a bit better than I expected.

Hooli

I used it as it was cheaper than other paints, worked well too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk