News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DP1400

steve porter

Mick_J

I thought you had to be face down when planking  :whistling:
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Hooli

northern

This week magnet gasket was finally delivered, so today I finally manage to assemble engine cases back. After cases were installed new filter + oil.
While crash-bars were off, I decided to go back from front 17 sprocket to standart 18.

Fuel hose, which connects tank lower point with fuel pump lover point was replaced to OEM part. Last year, I need to replace original one, cause 16 years did it's harm to rubber, but using just straight hose was not best option. I used some soft plastik fuel hose, which during 1 year transform from soft and transparent to hard and milky. Also, it was bend not the best way, so it's throughput wasn't the best.

Anyway, now bike is ready for MOT and first rides during this spring  :boogie:

Blubber

Quote from: Hooli on Sunday, 24 May  2020, 08:38 PM
Quote from: DP1400 on Sunday, 24 May  2020, 07:05 AM
Hooli, chill out man! :laugh: :cheers:

I'm trying man, but I hate my picture being taken.

Thats very considerate of the pixels on my screen  :rofl2:
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

Hooli

I went out for a blast with Moonie & a few others. My bike should have ticked over 152k before I got home but the damn speedo stopped registering!

When I got home I took a look, it seems I didn't get the cable back right last time I did any work near the front sprocket & the chain had partly eaten it. I've repaired the break in the cable but it still doesn't work, so it looks like new sensor time. I've found a 2nd hand one locally for £30 (£120 new) so I'll ring them tomorrow & hopefully pop over to get it as it's only a four mile or so away.

I hope that fixes it anyway, as I've got continuity to the PCB in the clocks all the way from the sensor's multiplug. So it should be the fault, just annoying & odd fixing the wire didn't fix it.

Will14

Quote from: Will14 on Tuesday, 19 May  2020, 07:22 AM
Not today but yesterday, checked the fuel pump flow rate & found that it was delivering approx. 800ml/30 seconds, manual says it should be approx. 1100ml/30 seconds, to be expected I suppose as the bike is almost 19 years old, could hear the pump starting to struggle after about 15 seconds

Anyway I decided to strip the pump out of the tank and clean the filter, as expected the tea bag filter was spotless as I replaced it last year however the main HP filter was a different story, after flushing with two cans of carb cleaner the result of what came out is shown in the pics and I doubt it is fully clean now. Reassembled everything and checked the flow rate again, although the flow rate didn't improve much if anything at all after cleaning the filter the pump seemed to be running a lot smoother and the bike started much better and seemed to idle much smoother

Next weekend I'm going to remove the additional external LP filter fitted to the pump feed line to see if that improves things as I have a feeling that is possibly restricting the flow rate & I'm also considering doing the external HP filter conversion, just a bit concerned about doing this after seeing how much muck the in tank filter war harboring in side it but there is no chance I am paying £150 - £200 for a new Suzuki Filter - If anyone has any thoughts or opinions on this I would be interested to know?

Well @grog , I'm with you on this one

Carried on tinkering yesterday, as above I removed the inline LP filter first of all & replaced the hose, carried out flow test and removing the LP filter made no difference still approx 800ml/30 seconds. Next I replaced the fuel pump with one I purchased off ebay, this was a disaster barely pumped 300 ml in 30 seconds, not even enough to start the bike so that pump is now in the scrap pile!

Next and after much pondering I did the HP filter bypass modification which was easily done, did a flow test before fitting the external HP filter, low & behold approx 1200Ml/30 seconds, next fitted the new inline filter and still got approx 1200Ml/30 seconds so no restriction with the new filter inline. Spent a bit of time doing the final plumbing work & took the bike for an essential test ride, OMG what a difference the bike is pulling like a train and so smooth I couldn't believe it

I'm still not 100% sure that I will stick with the external filter & if I do I will probably invest in a better quality inline filter, while the £15 filter purchased from ebay seems OK the correct size hose seems a bit loose on the filter barbs and when the FI hose clips are fully nipped up the hose will still turn on the barbs which concerns me if they should start to leak (at the moment it's holding fine) either way as Grog has said previously the original HP in tank filter does seem to be the issue for fuel restriction problems or at least it was for me

Cheers

Pete

Hooli

Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 26 May  2020, 04:45 AM
I went out for a blast with Moonie & a few others. My bike should have ticked over 152k before I got home but the damn speedo stopped registering!

When I got home I took a look, it seems I didn't get the cable back right last time I did any work near the front sprocket & the chain had partly eaten it. I've repaired the break in the cable but it still doesn't work, so it looks like new sensor time. I've found a 2nd hand one locally for £30 (£120 new) so I'll ring them tomorrow & hopefully pop over to get it as it's only a four mile or so away.

I hope that fixes it anyway, as I've got continuity to the PCB in the clocks all the way from the sensor's multiplug. So it should be the fault, just annoying & odd fixing the wire didn't fix it.

Just to update this, new sensor fixed it. They are the same across almost the whole Suzuki range, so it's much cheaper to buy one for a 2001 GSXR600 than a 2010 GSXR1000....

I've also found a decent local bike breakers I didn't know existed, so almost worth it for that.

GSX1400Convert

I've been away for a while ............ but am back.

GSX has had it's issues recently :rolleyes:

Took rear wheel in for a new tyre. The guy changing it chipped off a heap of powder coating  :rolleyes:

They had it repainted (my choice over powdercoat), refitted the new Corsa 3, and 4 weeks later I picked it up.

Went to fit, it had new bearings fitted at the shop, they were full of blast medium, and ground when spinning by hand  :shocked:

Pulled bearings out, cleaned everything replaced the bearing with new ones, fitted new chain and sprocket while I was at it (40T rear). But, my pipes mean I have no centre stand, I had it chocked up on a pair of car stands, and she toppled, the swingarm landing on one of the stands  :frustrated: Swingarn gouged to the max (I have another to replace it with, when I settle down a bit!)

So, back wheel fitted up, stand back to survey ......................... the paint doesn't match the rest of the white bodywork and front wheel on the bike.  :furious: :furious: :furious: FFS!

On a positive: Took it for a Covid free ride. I do like the Corsa 3. Very nice.............

The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there's no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Notty

Bloody hell - when it goes wrong it goes wrong big time ! :bugga:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

grog

Mate, that is just a crap load of luck. Stick at it, yours is a bloody nice bike.

northern

Today, I first time commute on my 14, fist time since September 2019!

Pass MOT yesterday - as usually without any problems (I know there could be issue with turn signals, cause front are just 29.5 cm away left from right instead of required 30cm, and rear are 22cm instead of 24, but we will not tell it to MOT staff :))

So, after riding now for ~1500k on my Triumph, it was interesting to compare those 2 in a city (touring enduro and naked street bike)
Triumph for me by have fare more comfortable riding position - back and knees.
I think, Triumph have bigger front wheel rake, and it return straight faster then 14. Now comparing to other bike, it seems to me, I have to force 14th handlebar  back after tighter turn. On Triumph I do not notice this. Have to admit, I did not notice it on 14 before also. Front tire pressure is ~36PSI, and fork bearings are also seems OK. I think it's just noticeable in comparing, and bigger (21 inch) wheel on Triumph is also affecting this.

Even Triumph have from factory Arrow can, sound of 0.8 triple engine on low city revs is like on some scooter...   :whatever:

During years (2003 vs 2018), technology step forward a lot. For first 15 minutes, 14 feels like some old-timer. But just first 15 minutes...

But how it's looks, how it sounds (full akra) how it pulls! I love this bike! :boogie:
And both of my feet confidently reach ground, when I'm standing in front of traffic-lights!

I had some slight thought: do I really need 2 bikes. Now I'm sure - I totally do.
Triumph is fantastic on long distance and I'm exploring roads and trails I never visit on 14 or on my previous street bikes, but for commuting and short rides 14 is just grate!

P.S.
repainted headlight back part, repainted headlight brackets with modified turn signals mount. repainted engine side covers.
And do not save on engine case gaskets. I thought, mine looks good, when I take them off, and decided not to exchange them. Today I notice oil is coming somewhere under the signal cover... I think it will be easy fix, but it will take time, and I have to wash my right shoe from oil :)

GSX1400Convert

Not today, but dropped a tooth on the rear sprocket, to 40T and now the actual speed matches the speedo .......... at last.
The initial attraction to motorcycling inflicts people for various reasons and at different stages in their lives. But once someone experiences the elation of riding a motorcycle there's no denying the nearly spiritual effect it has.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk