News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Safety when riding alone - location tracking

Started by BlueDragon, Thursday, 19 September 2019, 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueDragon

Just thought I would mention this, though I would think that many fellow riders may have already thought of it.  But being that I don't ride in a group and tend to either ride alone or with the wife as passenger, I thought I would bring up personal safety in the event of an accident.

Not sure what others do, but being that I have an iPhone I turn on location services and then turn on share my location and share my location with a family member.  They can see exactly where I am at all times during the ride.  Granted it doesn't work when we are out of mobile service - but that is only on very rare spots along the mountains and the family member knows where we are going and the roads we intend to take.

So at least in the event of a breakdown or accident etc, they can see where I/we are.

keeping in mind that family members do worry at times when we are all out riding, it brings a bit of re-assurance to them, that we are OK.

I don't know if android based phones have the same feature or not, I would think that they would have something similar?

Just thought I would mention this in case someone might be interested.

Whilst it would be nice to have a GPS tracker on the bike - I think this is the next best option and doesn't really cost anything.

I have my phone mounted on the handlebars running maps or a gps speedo, so it is also constantly on charge with the USB cable as well.  So if something bad happens and I am off the bike, the phone will still keep going in regards to being able to tell family members where I am.

Anyway, I hope that someone might find this useful.

Beaker

Great idea sharing that - you can do similar with Android by selecting opening Google Maps and selecting Location Sharing.

I know of a few adventure riders who have those Spot GPS trackers but they charge you a fairly hefty subscription fee.

Another app to download is What3Words - brilliant for finding an address or at worst, a rider down. The app has divided the surface of the planet up into 3 metre squares & provides a 3 word address for every square - easier than GPS co-ords - the pommy emergency services use it for locating people. 

Speedy1959

I think I do as many if not more rides on my own as I do with mates..
One mate in particular is such a bloody nutter on blind bends that I prefer not to be in his company!
Pity as hes a really decent bloke but a bit of a nobhead on his Fireblade !!

Tony Nitrous

I do the same with my iPhone-8 and I'm happy to have my wife keep an eye on where I am and that I'm safe.

Downside is there are a lot of places without phone reception or a signal in Qld.

KiwiCol

The question would be Tony, can she get GPS speed info as well?   :rofl2:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

northern

Hooli

Great until you lose your phone like I did last month & people would think you've crashed in Italy when you're really drinking beer in Croatia.

CountyDown

I prefer keeping my phone in my breast pocket inside my jacket.

I'd like to be able to get to my phone, physically able and call or text for help rather that wait for someone to report me missing.

Besides! Phones mounted on handlebars could well and truly be smashed up in certain impacts.

KEEP CLOSE TO BODY BODY IN REACH!

Kiwifruit

Bit low tech but both my wife and l have a whistle in our jacket pocket. Phone is usually in topbox.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Will14

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Sunday, 08 August  2021, 07:55 AM
Bit low tech but both my wife and l have a whistle in our jacket pocket. Phone is usually in topbox.

Simple low cost solutions can sometimes be the best & most effective and reliable

Tally

I use what 3words and the phone stays on me at all times.

gsxbarmy

Should I have an accident, then my BMW automatically calls BMW Assist who, if there is no answer (as you can talk to them through a mini speaker system on the handlebars) will automatically get emergency services to attend the location being sent out by the SOS relay on the bike. Does it work? Yes it does, as I found out on 5th June this year when I was unfortunate enough to have an accident.

Modern technology for you - SOS system on bikes - same as many modern cars

I also use What3Words, used by more and more organisations these days (at least in the UK) for finding someone (as you are able to navigate to it).
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk