K2/3/4 Fork tool

Started by moshiach, Thursday, 11 January 2018, 10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moshiach

Hoping someone with a bit more "first hand" exeperience with the fork tools might be able to cast an eye over this product and let me know their thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/332211277918?ul_noapp=true

Any help appreciated guys

gsxbarmy

No good for the 14 as the end that fits inside the forks is completely the wrong design for disassembling the 14's forks.
Note also that the forks internals are different between the K2-K4 and K5-K8 with a different shape boss inside.

A tool for the K2-K4 is pretty easy to make at home from a bit of gas pipe. K5-K8 can also be constructed oneself, but a little more involved.

For K2-K4, get suitable length of 15mm gas pipe and file 4 arches at 90degrees to each other in one end. Add a T-bar to the top and job done.

For the K5 on - see this thread http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=378.0
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

moshiach

Damn Barmy, you know how to depress a man.

I have no facilities to manufacture right now unfortunately.

Oh well, guess I have to pay a shop

gsxbarmy

Quote from: moshiach on Thursday, 18 January  2018, 08:20 AM
Damn Barmy, you know how to depress a man.

I have no facilities to manufacture right now unfortunately.

Oh well, guess I have to pay a shop

Sorry mosiach  :embarrassed:

If yours is the later 14 (k5 on) then what you can do to hold the internals in place is get a long thin flat metal rod and slide that down so it holds the edge of the square on one side whilst undoing the bolt at the bottom.

If you are looking to replace your seals though, if the seal is only slightly leaking, you may be able to retrieve it - google "Seal Mate" or look for same on eBay, cleans out any crud from under the seal, which is often the problem. Then replace your fork oil only - which doesn't need the seals to be removed. Link below is to eBay au :)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fork-Seal-Repair-Motorcycle-Fork-Seals-FIX-Leaking-Fix-it-With-SEAL-MATE-TOOL/132421595385?hash=item1ed4f130f9:g:q3kAAOSwi8xaJDPl

@moshiach

Andre

Tell me about lack of facilities. My workbenches are the floor and the lid on top of the trash can. My vise are hand and feet. Flex (no more power switch and guard) and drill from a friend. Still have all fingers and toes :rofl3: Almost always been the lucky type.

moshiach

Thanks Barmy. Seals are proper fooked. Gotta refinish the fork tubes and get the lowers stripped and recoated as well. Gotta do the full she-bang unfortunately.

Still gonna hunt around for a tool to help with the job, might have a crack at your suggestion though

Changa

Does anyone have a pic of a "homemade" K2 fork tool ?
2001 GSX 1400

seth

Yes
Look through the forum threads
There are pictures and sizes
:frustrated:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

mlivkovich

My homemade tool for K2. Old 1/2" plumbing pipe. I used angle grinder for one end and on the other I welded a nut that fits. Not sure what size,  I think it is M10x1mm but not really sure, try it before welding. Tool is 60 cm long but I think anything more than 30 cm will work  :cheers:
Oh, it was 15 min job :stir:

Andre

Quote from: Andre on Tuesday, 15 May  2018, 08:21 PM
You can see a couple of pics of Del's DIY tool by clicking on the post link. Maybe @Del could give us the measurements.

Quote from: Del on Thursday, 13 April  2017, 12:10 AM
I did something similar but welded a socket onto the end of it

Quote from: seth on Saturday, 10 February  2018, 07:10 PM
you need the later one with the welded bent washer on it
col as del's is for the earlier models .

just for info on either tool the pipe needs to be big enough to clear the nut on the damper rod i think thats 12mm but will check and modify the post .
:cheers:

As to the pic I attached, the guy owns a K3,so this should work. Dimensions: 40cm long, 22mm outer diameter, the 2 noses are 3mm wide and 5mm deep. 2 noses are a bit easier to make than 4.

rollerfish01

Very good pictures info here !  :onya: :salute:
I'm going to make my own tool too !  :cheers:

seth

Sethbot Postwhore

rollerfish01

Actually I need to spend some time to distinguish the difference between the k2 tool and the k5 tool.
The actual tool/cutting size data is very helpful  :onya:   

seth

The top of the cartridges changed that's why there are 2 different tools .
:cheers:

Sethbot Postwhore

gsxbarmy

To make your own K2-K4 fork tool:

Get a piece of 1/2" or 15mm (internal diameter) Gas Pipe. File 4 arches in the end. Job done

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk