The endless search for seat comfort.

Started by Nic, Monday, 13 December 2021, 11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric GSX1400K3

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

steve porter

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Tuesday, 14 December  2021, 01:03 AM
Some people swear by these.

I'm looking at trying one

https://www.airhawk.com.au/

I found that the air hawks only work on a firm base and the 14 foam isn't hard enough to support it, it just ended up a squished mess, firmer foam is the answer.

Nic

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Tuesday, 14 December  2021, 01:03 AM
Some people swear by these.

I'm looking at trying one

https://www.airhawk.com.au/
Yeah I ain't one of em. Tried it on 4 bikes with the same result, hot poo cushion.

Nic

Well I just got back from a 170K ride, it's amazing how something can feel good in the shed but out on the road it's a different matter.
The tradeoff I spoke about at the beginning of this thread, ie, the cutting into the legs, yes well it is now official, this seat is just plain NO GOOD.
The problem as I see it is simple, when you sit on a chair of any kind, you don't just sit on your balls and arse bones, there is usually plenty of chair under the back of the upper thighs thereby taking a LOT of pressure off the problem area.
How to solve this on a bike is beyond me, I just plain GIVE THE F*** UP.
I've been wrestling with this problem since 2013 when I came back to riding, bugs, shit roads, cagers, coppers, wind noise and arse pain, have I left anything out, I tell ya good people, I've had a gutful o the whole farking caper. I'm 68 in Feb n right now I'm thinking maybe it's time to hang up the leathers. Of course I could just be talkin outta my arse.
I so much would love to ride around Australia but that's just not going to happen  :furious:

KiwiCol

Hardly Movingtons have comfy seats as do Gold Wings & Rocket3s,  just sayin . . .
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

GSXKING

GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

grog

Nic, no giving up Mate. Maybe what GSX suggested, heaps of diff types, not all cost $100 plus. I would try sheepskin. Get a sheepskin, 25 mm, i made up straps to hold, not difficult. Cover whole seat. Next, as i did, get sheepskin overlays. They come with straps to fit. Such a difference. Ill search for a link if you want. Overlays are just enough to fit under your bum, gives you 50 mm of wool to sit on, eventually shapes to your arse. Worth a try mate.

Eric GSX1400K3

Don't give up Nic, I'm sure there's a solution somewhere.  Have you tried going to a motor retriever and getting them to custom shape the foam  for you and retrieve the seat? There was a thread on here where it was done DIY with great results.  I intend to do mine one day, need 50 to 75mm extra foam at the front, sloping up to the tank to make it better.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

Eric GSX1400K3

grog

Eric, once tried air hawk, just nothing i liked. sort of like sitting on pumped up plastic bag, they do soften etc but weird feeling. Double layer sheep is way different. They just eventually fit to you, you can tell i like them. My seat also a great seat, that helps.

Eric GSX1400K3

KiwiCol

I had mine sculptured / levelled out, had an XL gel insert added while they were at it. Then put the mesh net over the top.  Works well & not so much a PIA now. 

I got the Gel insert off E-Bay, came from USA if I recall rightly, it's very similar stuff to the wrist supports you used to get for using a mouse etc.  The seat mesh, that lifts you a bit & allows air under for cooling and a softer ride.
One of my quads had one on when I brought it, not used one previously & was amazed at how comfy & better that seat was compared to the seat on the other quad. (Very similar seats on both bikes, 400YFM & a 700YFM.  I liked it so much I did some digging & found them on E-Bay as well, cheap too, so I ordered one for the GSX, all good, no regrets here & the cover is still on there.

Here's a link to show you what they look like, think xxl might be the right size for our seat too, can't recall, but the measurments and instructions on how to measure are there.  Might be an XL now I think of it.  I know you want it tight on the seat, else it'd probably feel weird.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303827081888
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Nic

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement not to give up, I fear it is all in vain though. I won't go on about how unenjoyable the whole riding experience is, the brain wants to ride but I get home after a ride and I just think it's unenjoyable in the most part for any number of reasons. New roads would improve the situation but that becomes a whole day out or even more.
My seat was redo shortly after I got the bike almost 2 years ago now by MJM in Goulburn, see pic. At first I though it was good because it's better than the stock seat but over time, old man arse pain has taken control again. To have a gel pad fitted and whatever else would be another $500.
I have tried the poo cushion, still have it, still thinking I'll find a use for it one day, also have a bead cover like taxi drivers use, it was pretty good on the triumph sprint but not an any of the other bikes I've had in the 8 years since returning to riding, it's just hard, looks good though. The least drama seat was one I made out of a piece of ply and some pretty hard foam for the Bandit, but after a 200K ride I could hardly walk when I got off the bike. It's old, very old and I don't see any light at the end of the abyss. I have a really nice 2" thick piece of sheepskin but really Grog, with all due respect mate, I don't see it as the answer.
I have one more card to play n that's it, that is to put higher handle bars on, this will require longer clutch and brake hoses, probably a hundred bucks at least, this would put more arse on the seat, might be ok, I don't ever see a complete remedy though. I'm pretty bummed out right now if I may be afforded a small pun, will look into longer hoses and see what's out there. Thanks again.

GSXKING

They make handlebar lifters with offset backwards too @Nic check on FleaBay  :whatever:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk