GSXR seat conversion

Started by Yoda, Friday, 17 February 2017, 07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Del

Oh No no more Drinking and eBaying for me - woke up one morning and was the owner of a Hillman Avenger - and it was about 300 miles away in Wales  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :whatever: :whatever:
All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

Mrg

dare i say ...but i bet there are a few on here that can say that about a  lady.. that  they have woken up next to the   morning................. after a few to many beers   :laugh:   :onya:
look check and look again  then you see the fool

Yoda

Lol nice one. Note to self ignore blubbers comments from now on.

gsxbarmy

Allan, a few on the old org had done that mod, I haven't heard back from Tim, so can't help there. I know you have to slightly mod the back end of the frame, personally I'd be inclined to get it and then see how it will fit - at least you know it can be fitted if others have done it.

Easy for me to say as not my cash, but I think that might be th eonly way. Then of course we will need a write up...... :onya:
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Yoda

Hi Dave yes your probably right still negotiating the £250 price tag for the complete rear seat and frame section
If I go ahead I will post up in here
Cheers Allan

froudy

Quote from: Yoda on Wednesday, 01 March  2017, 04:50 AM
Hi Dave yes your probably right still negotiating the £250 price tag for the complete rear seat and frame section
If I go ahead I will post up in here
Cheers Allan

That is a damned good price if it's complete with seat plastics, sub frame, under tray, all lights and the seats themselves!!! :onya:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

Tim Morris

Hi Yoda.
Humble apologies for the very late reply,but I totally forgot about Barmie's e-mail!
What would you like to know? I'll help the best I can.

Yoda

Hi Tim I would like to know what seat and tail end you used I am looking at a GSXR k7 1000   Do you also have photos showing the bracket location and how you managed to mate the single seat to the 14 frame. Thanks in advance
Yoda   

Tim Morris

I'm afraid it was far from "scientific",more like "close your eyes and hope for the best"! I actually started off with one of Gnome's old efforts (which I still have!),which I think was a fibreglass unit.All the bits (I got parts separately as I couldn't get a complete unit) were off a K7/8 GSXR1000,including the alloy sub-frame. I then fitted all the plastics to the sub-frame and offered it up to the bike. Gnome had sent me a load of pictures from his efforts,and I worked out "approximately" where to cut the 14's rear frame section. I then offered the seat/sub-frame unit up to where it was in the best position for height,and looks. I had to "relieve" some of the plastic to fit round shock mounts etc.,which I did with a Dremmel! The sub-frame sits in between the 14's frame,and I cut and shaped some spacers from round tube (think I used some of the rear frame I'd chopped off!) to fit in-between both,and then bolted it all up. The seat,again,"suck it and see",was an amalgamation of 14 (front bit by the tank) and GSXR,glued together with some super duper resin we use at work,to bond body panels to cars!! The foam padding I also "bodged" together,and then sent it off to be covered (and get a gel pad fitted at the same time!) properly. I eventually got round to fitting a seat lock,which worked just fine after a little "fine tuning",which is just as well as it needed to be fixed in place for the MOT.
The undertray was also off a GSXR. Considering it was all kind of,not exactly bodged as I had to sit on it so it needed to be secure,done by eye till it looked ok,it turned out pretty well,and definitely worth the effort/hassle. The reason I chose the GSXR unit,other than looks,was because it was from the same manufacturer,so I figured the rear light/indicators would be straightforward. I suppose you could get a "proper" sub-frame made,but I doubt it would be cheap.
As I said,it was all done as I went along really,no instructions to follow. The only "leap of faith" was cutting off the rear frame section,that was the point of no return!
I don't think I have any pictures,but I will trawl through my library and check.

Yoda

By the finished look your effort was well worth it. I have a chance at a complete rear for £200. It would be good to see some photos if you have them. Trying to get it all straight in my head before I take the plunge
Cheers Yoda

Tim Morris

As I said,the biggest "choice" is to take the plunge and cut the rear frame off. If memory serves,it was cut off just before the strengthening web by the rear shock mount. Once the unit gets offered up,and you can see it in front of you,it all makes a little more sense.
Tim

Tim Morris

Yoda

Hi Tim thanks for the photos. I am going for it I have bought a GSXR 750 k6 complete rear.
Will let you guys know how I get on
Yoda

VladTepes

Yoda PLEASE document / photograph the process as much as possible as you go. Would be great to have a "how to" guide on the forum here for future reference.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Reece

Yoda would I be able to get those photos as I have been thinking about doing it and would be good to see what I'm in for.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk