I have a cool and old tool fetish - post your cool tools.

Started by SA14, Tuesday, 08 September 2020, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SA14

Just briefly, I was involved in such a violent financial catastrophe that I lost all my tools and parts and everything. A total walk out #tmi so here I am at the age of 55 rebuilding again from scratch. Buying my 2008 K7 (plus a bit of early released super - not going to lie) I've started hunting to rebuild my tool chest. I prefer used, old very high quality tools and I'll use this thread to post some of the really cool finds starting with my excellent quality BRITOOL torque wrenches.

I found the 3/8 torque wrench on Gumtree and when I inquired I discovered that he also had the 1/2 inch wrench so I bought them both for just $150 which I think is an bargain and if it's not I'm certainly happy to own two cool old British torque wrenches. These belonged to his departed brother who was born in 1920 (much older than him) and was a mechanic his entire life from 1936 age 16. He was a British chap (English I think) and I know how you Brits LOVE making great very high quality tools. These belonged to his brother and said they were from the late 50s or early 60s. I used them on my several things so far. The oil sump drain bolt and top shock bolts but I'm sure I'll use them for many many things. They have a micrometer style torque setting gauge such a great positive "knee action" clicker and I just love them.

I would love to hear about great old tool or garage stuff you've scored, been given or found or even stories of amazing finds you heard about. For example, I bought a hand made Jarrah work bench today with all sorts of beautiful mortise and tenon joinery, massive extreme duty wood vices on both ends, a tool tray built in and dogs all the way down the front. I'll be posting about it later after I take some daylight pics showing all the key features. He also gave me some more old tools when I admitted my fetish - he just started handing them over..."and you can have this...and this...and do you want these?". It was a cool as hell day today. He loved that someone who appreciated it would be buying it - wait until you see it, it's magnificent.

Show us yer cool tools! They don't have to be old, if you love 'em I want to see 'em. Even garage/workshop pics would be cool. I'm also a member over at https://www.garagejournal.com/ because the owner there is an old hot rodder (like me) and loves old school anything. Totally worth a visit but be warned, you'll spend many hours there. It's addictive.

I'll kick this off with pics of the BRITOOL Torque wrenches.

VladTepes

Good stuff mate !

Sadly the tools I have are adequate but not special.
I like good old tools as well !
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

steve porter

some of you older Aussies may remember this brand, got a set of these back in the 70`s and still work as new

steve porter

One of other threads reminded me of this, first purchase when I started my Apprenticeship after rooting a couple of side cover JIS screws on a Honda CB 550, and being made to get them out without damaging the sidecover would have been 1974

steve porter

Here`s another old tool that I love, and use all the time, would be about circa 1980

steve porter

And a jigsaw my father in law made as an apprentice toolmaker, probably pre WW2

And it still works perfectly BTW

SA14

Jigsaw is so cool! Love that impact driver as well. Love a good tin case. These days it all plastic. As an ex-metal worker, plastic offends me a little bit. Funny as I now make my living polishing the damn stuff.

That Bahco multi grip is cool too. Never seen one work like that.

Was also admiring your puller. Looks hand crafted?

steve porter

Was also admiring your puller. Looks hand crafted?
[/quote]

just a cheapie modified for a job

grog

My Fluke75 from early 80s, one of the first digital, cost heaps but has never failed. Boomans Germany Roll Grip, only one ive seen, just doesnt slip. Primus Kit, late 70s i think i got it, probably still has original gas.

steve porter

I like the look of the Fluke, minimal options compared to the hundreds on modern ones that I have no idea what they are

Mick_J

Quote from: steve porter on Saturday, 19 September  2020, 09:15 AM
One of other threads reminded me of this, first purchase when I started my Apprenticeship after rooting a couple of side cover JIS screws on a Honda CB 550, and being made to get them out without damaging the sidecover would have been 1974

I've got one of those, are they worth anything?  ;)
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

KiwiCol

Is that how old those impact drivers are?  I've got one & used it the other day, exactly the same. Knew I'd had it a while, but '74?  Suppose it would of been around that era.  These things remind us of how old we are, when we work it out.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

I've got an identical one I bought in the 90s, some designs just don't change.

steve porter

Quote from: mjgt on Saturday, 19 September  2020, 07:05 PM
Quote from: steve porter on Saturday, 19 September  2020, 09:15 AM

I've got one of those, are they worth anything?  ;)

Priceless when you need it, which I must admit isn't very often nowadays

Snapey

This one is modern compared to the home made one I still use.
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk