News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

JIS vs Philips screwdrivers

Started by VladTepes, Thursday, 30 April 2020, 04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T250

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 01 May  2020, 08:26 PM
Carry on jesting you lot, needing all these special tools for your pimped up rice rockets - all us rockers need is a good hammer and screwdriver to fix our proper motorcycles  :rofl2:

And if that doesn't fix it, it must be an electrical fault!  :happy1:

grog

All good Barmy. Maybe were jealous. Good old Triumph days i remember.Bonnies, Tigers we could fix, Tridents a different story. Still were better than Norton Commando. A fix a day.

VladTepes

Well this thread has drifted a bit.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

KiwiCol

Barmy started the drift with trumpets . . .  :happy1:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

gsxbarmy

Quote from: KiwiCol on Tuesday, 05 May  2020, 10:47 AM
Barmy started the drift with trumpets . . .  :happy1:

Yes sorry - need to give myself a  :rulez: :redcard:
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Mick_J

Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

SA14

Was watching a FortNine video about "Special Tool Every Motorcyclist Should Own" and what should pop up 3/4 ways through the video but JIS Screw drivers. Thought I'd pop this here. I linked the video at the point at which he mentions Japanese Industrial Standard (which was discontinued in 2008 just like us!) but the whole video's not too bad to watch. For example I didn't know what a Pin Wrench was.

JIS part is at 8:27

grog

SA14

Quote from: grog on Monday, 16 November  2020, 07:37 PM
Mate, JIS work well. Impact driver and maybe a couple of others, youre set. https://rhinotools.com.au/product/vessel-jis-impact-screwdriver/

Added the impact and a few sets of JIS drivers to the cart for later.

In the video at the 9:40 mark he shows how some of the Vessel drivers are actually an impact driver too.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: SA14 on Monday, 16 November  2020, 07:44 PM
Quote from: grog on Monday, 16 November  2020, 07:37 PM
Mate, JIS work well. Impact driver and maybe a couple of others, youre set. https://rhinotools.com.au/product/vessel-jis-impact-screwdriver/

Added the impact and a few sets of JIS drivers to the cart for later.

In the video at the 9:40 mark he shows how some of the Vessel drivers are actually an impact driver too.

Yep, the JIS set i bought has two impact drivers, the silver handled ones.  Best set of 'drivers ive got, just love them.  I'm restoring a 2004 corolla sportivo for my kids to learn to drive in, use these JIS screwdrivers all the time.  Also on the 1402 of course...
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

VladTepes

JIS has been discontinued? So I can look forward to more stripping philips heads in future then.

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

SA14

Quote from: VladTepes on Tuesday, 17 November  2020, 01:20 PM
JIS has been discontinued? So I can look forward to more stripping philips heads in future then.

Unless you modify your phillips head to become a JIS. Apparently the included angle needs to be around 57 degrees and you grind the tip off so it seats fully all the way down into the screw.

Got that info from this thread https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15547

Some of the pics (nicked) from that thread below.

Hooli

Excellent, I'd never found anything specifying the differences.

grog

JIS work way better, even in Phillips screws. Just something to have. A bit like using multi point sockets to single hex, why would you. A lot of cars i work on now use Torx screws, just crappest, easiest to to strip shit ever. Theres even a variation on them, Jeep, Mercedes use, even worse. They dont undo, just break the tool youre using, nightmare stuff.

Irish in Oz

I ended up buying a Torx socket and key set because of a car I own, realised it when I went to change the oil. There is also Torx Plus for higher torque.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk