Difficulty finding neutral

Started by VladTepes, Monday, 14 January 2019, 10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VladTepes

This morning at the lights...

1-2-1-2-1-2-1-N

Happened like this several times (but not every time).

Anyone got any ideas on what may be causing this?

It's a K7.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Sweaty

Not really Mike, but this could be part of the Tap in the arse you received  ;) ;)

I take it the oil has been changed on the regular intervals ?

VladTepes

haha I don;t think so.

Yep oil changes regular and it was serviced just before the MCR.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

KiwiCol

Clutch not disengaging completely?   Ya haven't got shorty levers on have ya?  Been adjusting the position by chance? 

This'll be a good one to diagnose & fix . . .
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

gsxbarmy

Could be worth checking a few things
- is the clutch pushrod sticking?  You may have a build up,of muck and goo from where you've oiled your chain that has built up over the months.
- when was the clutch fluid last changed? Fluid level? Fluid clean or black-ish?
- chain needs adjusting - could be a bit loose (or tight) - or chain may have a tight spot possibly
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

KiwiCol

Different shoes / boots?

Shifting too fast to find neutral?

Oil cold (in Aussie??) n basket sticking? till it warms up

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

IMO, clutch not releasing fully mate. Just bleed it, see how you go, 14 is one of the best ive had for finding neutral.

seth

As @gsxbarmy said check the clutch slave cylinder is ok as they get crudded up and can stick making the clutch operation not as smooth as it should be .
Good luck
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Kiwifruit

Finding neutral is usually pretty easy. Make sure linkages are as they should be. I had to pinch my shift lever up. It had become a bit loose on the spline. Does seem a bit odd.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Mick_J

I know it sounds wrong but is the clutch cable pull too tight, I had real issues with my MZ as I could never find neutral 1-2-1-2-1-2-1 but I cured it by turning the lever reach dial down one so it didn't push the clutch in as much and it's cured, can find neutral every time first time.  Just a though.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

seth

@mjgt
The mighty gsx1400 has a hydraulic clutch no cables involved
:onya:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Mick_J

Your quite right  :whatever: my mistake but so has my MZ and the span adjuster solved my neutral problem.  Seems it was pushing the clutch push rod too far.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Notty

My Kawasaki MeanStreak had a neutral finder which was brilliant - it also had what I thought were faulty indicators as they kept turning them selves off until I read the handbook (who ever reads those?) and they had auto cancel after bike upright for 50 yards _ it was 2 years before I realised Duh  :bugga:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

gsxbarmy

Quote from: mjgt on Monday, 14 January  2019, 07:34 PM
I know it sounds wrong but is the clutch cable pull too tight, I had real issues with my MZ as I could never find neutral 1-2-1-2-1-2-1 but I cured it by turning the lever reach dial down one so it didn't push the clutch in as much and it's cured, can find neutral every time first time.  Just a though.

The span adjuster on the standard clutch lever just alters the rake of the clutch lever itself, not how much the clutch actuates - so whilst what you say is true where a cable is involved, given (as Notty and others have said) it's a hydraulic clutch, unlikely to be clutch lever.

Having said that your post prompted me to think of another possibility in that the clutch lever (and the small brass insert) may have dried out and want removing and greasing (if it has dried then the fluid won't actuate the clutch as it would normally, thus not pushing the clutch rod in far enough - which could cause the issue).

@VladTepes - maybe a quick additional check - remove clutch lever and brass insert, re-grease and re-assemble.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Taniwha

I thought that was normal.
Does anyone know how to stop finding neutral at 5000rpm and the occasional wandering neutral up between 4th & 5th?
K7 B&W, '84 GPZ550, '12 ZX2,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk