News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

HEL oil cooler + Akrapovic headers

Started by northern, Monday, 05 March 2018, 06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seth

@northern
Ask to speak to Shaun northcott he's dealing with stoli's problem just now and we have been emailing back and forth hopefully he can come up with a solution for still and also you if you speak to him .
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

northern

@seth thank you!
just to be sure - I want to write to moto@helperformance.com which I find on http://www.helperformance.com/contact/
Are we talking about same?

seth

@northern yes that them quote Shaun Northcott and mention my emails from sethxjr@gmail.com .
Hopefully they can sort you out as well I think the problem has been they sales staff are not asking what exhaust is fitted when people order there gsx1400 kit and they know it doesn't fit with aftermarket down pipes.

Sethbot Postwhore

northern

northern

today i get replay from HEL performance, from Shaun Northcott.

"... We are looking into the spec but aftermarket headers cause us problems. We have a customer with the same issue at the moment. We are out of stock on the engine flanges and expect a delay of 2 weeks. We will update you if we manage to get it sorted out with the customer ASAP... "

As I understand, some custom solution is possible. I will wait for the update and will let you all know.  :hat:

seth

Hiya northern Shaun emailed me today they are looking in to getting things sorted for you and stoli.
I sent a few pictures and measurements so hopefully they can get you sorted .

Sethbot Postwhore

northern

thx for your support, seth! Will see, what will be their solution.

seth

Indeed we will hopefully they can sort things in a straight forward way.
My suggestion was mount the cooler upside down with a modified bracket the using 24"oil lines into a 120° bend you run the oil line up the frame before going on to the cooler .
My oil cooler has rear facing outlets but theirs with the correct bend should work fine .
I'm not sure if you keep the fan on thier system but that's the same if if was fitted either way up so what ever solution you might need to mod/make a fan bracket if your keeping the fan .

Sethbot Postwhore

northern

other solution - replicate OEM lines: directed to the middle, and then between 2nd and 3rd cylinder headers....

seth

They could but it's the end fittings that cost the money hoses is relatively cheap
Will be interesting to see what they actually come up with .

Sethbot Postwhore

gsxbarmy

I seem to remember on the old org that karlgixer? fitted a GSX-R1000 HEL cooler to his 14, which essentially is the same size cooler as the 14 but with oil intake and outlet pipes at the top - would those same pipes not solve the issue here perhaps (if indeed my memory is correct?)
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

seth

That's very similar to the set up being discussed.
Hopefully they can now help with something .

Sethbot Postwhore

bigian14

Quote from: northern on Monday, 05 March  2018, 08:05 AM
there is HEL and Akra on a bike, but picture are very small to understand is lines original or custom...
http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=544.msg4493#msg4493

@bigian14 - any feedback about cooler?

Yes mate, I bought the HEL cooler and lines as a kit at the bike show a couple of years back but had problems with the hoses as the kit was designed for standard headers that have a lot more clearance between them.
I tried fitting with the straight fitting at the crankcase end and the 45° fittings at the cooler end but it didn't look right, (to me), so tried the other way round. They seemed to fit and look better between the headers with the straight fitting at the cooler end but appeared too long so I phoned HEL and sent them a sketch of what I wanted and they just shortened my hoses by about 40mm and they fitted perfectly.
I have since removed those and am making up my own with the blue/red fittings, (HEL now only do the stealth black ones), as am rerouting them after a complete winter strip-down and rebuild.

northern

@bigian14
Thanks a lot for this info, mate!

Basically: both fitting are straight and hoses are ~40mm shorter? Right?
Inst lines to close to headers, or it's not a problem?

seth

They look great @bigian14
I wonder why HEL  didn't remember this when speaking to @Stolichnaya
As looks like the perfect fit

Sethbot Postwhore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk