Round 2 for a 3 day ride

Started by KiwiCol, Sunday, 26 March 2017, 05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KiwiCol

Right, the bike is all back together & I've done everything I wanted to, so she's ready to roll.

We've got a good window of fine weather coming up (Tuesday to Friday) and possibly the last for the summer / autumn, so I'm heading off again (no potholes this time) and a different direction.

Day 1, Tuesday 28/3 Christchurch, Geraldine, Tekapo, Mt Cook, Omarama, Lindis Pass, Queenstown & stop in Glenorchy for the night - sml local pub.+ 6½ hrs riding & 530k

Day 2, Wednesday 29th, Back through Queenstown, Arrowtown, over the Crown Range to Wanaka, through Haast Pass to Franz Joseph Glacier for the night, motel, close to bar. 5.20 hrs riding 396K

Day 3, Thursday 30th, Carry on up the coast road through wee towns & Hokitika, turn off at Kumara junction & head to Otira & Arthurs Pass, through Springfield & Darfield back to CHC.  5 hrs riding 381K

That's the plan anyway, as I'm travelling on my own, I can amend at will. Accommodation is fixed though.  Will be around 1200k over the 3 days & I may do a side trip here & there too, so could well be more.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Mick_J

Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

gsxbarmy

Lets hope better luck second time around. We look forward to the pictures on your return!!!!
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Red Biker

Sounds good Col!
Enjoy it and stay safe
Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

Kiwifruit

Pleased you got your bike sorted Col.
Sounds like a good ride.
Enjoy !!
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

VladTepes

Yep looking forward to the trip report and pics !
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

KiwiCol

Thx, I'll do what I can. Get some pic's of the trip & do a bit of a write up.  Well, might just be comments on the pic.

Mrg

good luck and have a safe and good ride  :onya:
look check and look again  then you see the fool

Kiwifruit

Got your snow tyres Col.  :stir:

Safe trip !
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

KiwiCol

Quote from: Kiwifruit on Monday, 27 March  2017, 08:09 PM
Got your snow tyres Col.  :stir:

Safe trip !

Nah, Queenstown has 23 degrees today.  No snow for me. Rest of the time is looking good too.

Cheers.

Sweaty

KiwiCol

Had a good run today after the first 250K of cold, overcast & drizzle.
Got to some new roads I've not been on & some improved roads from last time I crossed them - years ago.

The bike went good & strong & the pub I'm in has good beer - result!

I'll do some pic's once I get home.

Cheers guys

KiwiCol

The trip in Pic format,

The trip itinerary (loosely) is at the start of this post.

Tuesday

Sorry guys, I can't find where to put text under or above each pic.

1) First stop Tekapo fuel & toilet
2) Top of the Lindis pass, not 1 tree for miles.
3) Bike at the top
4) The Kawarau river, old gold mining site, can still pan for gold there today as tourist attraction
5) Queenstown Bay, the town itself off to the left - I'd been through it & looking back
6) TSS Earnslaw, The Lady of the lake, circa 1905 or thereabouts from memory
7) Heading up to the head of the lake, Queenstown is way off to the left & Glenorchy is way off to the far right, great vista.
8) The pub I stayed at, good steak & my beer too.

Mick_J

Great pics Col, I cant help with the titles over each pic as I don't know how to do it either.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

KiwiCol

Wednesday 29th

Glenorchy to Franz Joseph, I did a detour to Jackson Bay, never been there before. End of the road on the coast. Done both ends of that coast road now.

1) Mt Aspiring - pointed one on rhs
2) Glenorchy Lookout, looking back where i'd come from, great road that.
3) Look out on part of the Crown Range Rd, off to left you can see the twisties there, 15k corners, woooo, great fun those.
4) Almost at the top of the Crown Range (1075m) highest point on the trip.  Photoshopped sky  :stir:
5) Lake Hawea, very clear, can see the bottom here & it's actually deep there.
6) Hawea looking towards Wanaka direction - where I've just come through
7 & 8) Jacksons Bay, the road on the coast stops here. Done both ends of the coast rd now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk