News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Buying pistons and seals...

Started by Ultramagnus, Tuesday, 23 April 2024, 01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultramagnus

Hello,

I will try and fix my front calipers and found this kit
https://powerhouse.uk/product/suzuki_gsx1400_2006_brake_piston_seals-2/

But I can't find it outside UK.

Since I'm located in Sweden postage and tax makes them very costly...

Are there any good online stores inside EU for GSX 1400 stuff?

Brexit ruined my economy, I used to order all sorts of stuff from UK!  :thumbs_down:

Hooli

I replaced the seals in mine once & ended up reusing most of the original ones the next time as after market ones were crap. So I doubt you need to change the seals, just scrape them clean & put them back.

Ultramagnus

Quote from: Hooli on Tuesday, 23 April  2024, 02:21 AMI replaced the seals in mine once & ended up reusing most of the original ones the next time as after market ones were crap. So I doubt you need to change the seals, just scrape them clean & put them back.

I see your point.

I but it seems kinda wrong to not replace seals when I am tearing the calipers apart anyway.

Pistons is probably ok too, but if they are not then I have to order new ones and that is a weeks wait (if I'm lucky). The riding season is not terribly long here in Sweden so I am not very keen on having the bike standing still while the weather is good.

Eric GSX1400K3

Ultramagnus, it's unlikely the pistons need replacing, they are hard chromed, and unless very pitted, just need a clean up.  If the seals are still nice and square, and not nicked or cut, cleaning them up in new brake fluid should sort them out. The calipers are easy to clean, the trick as per Hooli  is to get the seal grooves clean. Use only new brake fluid, then brake cleaner and compressed air.

When i did mine,  I ordered only the seal kit from powerhouse via eBay, just in case

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/155011170685?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=hS1wkmtVSpa&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=_M0J_4k6R_O&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

Better off standing still than falling over on the road again.Fix your brakes Mate.👍

grog

Double post sorry. Magnus, pull them apart, sharp pick to get seals out, probably hardest part, not to damage them.Soak caliper halves overnight in soapy water, makes cleaning way easier.Pistons will clean up fine.Refit with a smear of rubber grease, also on joining o ring. New fluid, clean out master reservoir, bleed them.Bleeding can take a while, gets better more you persevere.Have a read on here.No need for fancy ways, gravity works, tapping every union for weeks ended up getting mine perfect.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk