Paddock stand bobbin holes

Started by Jules, Monday, 29 August 2022, 09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jules

Good to meet you all!
I've just joined the forum after purchasing a gorgeous 2003 K3 which of course I absolutely love!!! I plan to do some jobs over the coming months and have purchased an R&G paddock stand as the bike only came with a side stand. I'm told by R&G that I need to buy the M8 bobbins as well, the holes for these should already be there in the swing arm. Well, I've looked and unless I'm missing something obvious I can't see these holes! Can anyone help or offer some advice please?

Snapey

You'll have to drill your own holes but I wouldn't tap M8 because you won't get enough threads in the thin material to safely support the bikes weight. I used nutserts on mine but slightly off centre to avoid fouling the chain adjusting screw.
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: Jules on Monday, 29 August  2022, 09:09 PM
Good to meet you all!
I've just joined the forum after purchasing a gorgeous 2003 K3 which of course I absolutely love!!! I plan to do some jobs over the coming months and have purchased an R&G paddock stand as the bike only came with a side stand. I'm told by R&G that I need to buy the M8 bobbins as well, the holes for these should already be there in the swing arm. Well, I've looked and unless I'm missing something obvious I can't see these holes! Can anyone help or offer some advice please?

Welcome mate, a standard rear stand with the rubber coated right angle pick ups works just as well, no need to drill holes in swing arms then.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Stevel3

On my 2nd 1400 I used nutserts as well and they worked well. I bought a kit with all different sizes off ebay from memory. With my first 14 I took the bike to an engineering shop and they drilled the swing arm and used nutserts.

VladTepes

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Monday, 29 August  2022, 11:45 PM
a standard rear stand with the rubber coated right angle pick ups works just as well, no need to drill holes in swing arms then.

I disagree I find them a PITA and not as stable. I've been looking for a good solution for ages sounds like this might be it. :)

@Snapey can you recall what size nutserts you used?
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Snapey

Quote from: VladTepes on Tuesday, 30 August  2022, 10:29 AM

I disagree I find them a PITA and not as stable. I've been looking for a good solution for ages sounds like this might be it. :)

@Snapey can you recall what size nutserts you used?

I totally agree Mike. The swingarm tends to get a bit greasy & the slightest pull/push of the bike & it will slip on the rubber. With the bobbins sitting in a U shaped nest there's no chance of the bike moving.

M8 nutserts mate but make sure the bobbin sits on the swingarm & not the head of the nutsert. A small counterbore is best to give clearance on the head or even a large washer will do.
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

T250

Grmpf

Best solution: "... Gilles tooling chain adjuster for the GSXR models ..." like in:

https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=2210.msg25976#msg25976

you just add bobbins and ... done
GSX 1400 K2 :: ABM Sportbike 0330 :: TRW jack up kit :: Ricambi rear fender :: Setrab oil cooler :: Nissin radial clutch & brake

Jules

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions in response to my post. That's certainly given me some options, just need to decide on which to go for. Appreciate your help and look forward to chatting again soon!

Tony Nitrous

I keep meaning to get proper mounting points welded under the arm on mine like a factory set up.

In the mean while I use L type lifters under the arm. As mentioned they did originally move as the area is prone to chain lube and other stuff.   A few seconds with a wipe of brake cleaner stops that though and I've had no problems recently.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: Grmpf on Wednesday, 31 August  2022, 03:59 AM
Best solution: "... Gilles tooling chain adjuster for the GSXR models ..." like in:

https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=2210.msg25976#msg25976

you just add bobbins and ... done

If you go for the Gilles make sure it's the later type. I've seen a few early ones fail.

They look nice but not for me as I'd like to be able to do tyre changes / wheel out up on the stand.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk