News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

43 T Rear Sprocket.

Started by The Stumeister, Saturday, 19 August 2023, 10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Stumeister

Has anyone changed their standard rear sprocket from 41 tooth to a 43..? Am interested in changing the gearing for better acceleration but am curious as to how much i would lose from the top end..? Also,would the speedo reading be out by much..?

GSXKING

Can I ask why you feel it necessary, considering the modifications you already have ?  :whatever:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

hard road

"better acceleration" hasn't the 1400 got enough  :whatever:  it will out accelerate most bikes on the road from a standing start anyway.

The Stumeister

More low down speed and wheelies.....the gsx starts to  runs out of steam after 130mph or so i think..

Phill P

Wouldn't a 17 tooth front sprocket be a cheaper option

KiwiCol

This attached link will take to you Gearing Commander website. You can put any combination of sprocket sizes in and compare against stock.   It's really useful if you're thinking of changing the sprockets.  It lets you see exactly what you'll get with your proposed changes without having to spend anything up front.

https://www.gearingcommander.com/
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

Stuemeiester, if thats what you want, all good. Ive often thought, will do, next chain change fit bigger front. makes speedo accurate from memory.

The Stumeister

If i changed to a bigger front sprocket,would this affect the speedo reading by much..?

KiwiCol

To get the speedo displaying as exactly as GPS Speed, (no matter what combination of sprocket sizes you fit) you simply buy & fit one of these:

https://shop.12oclocklabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=31&product_id=59  A GSX1400 needs model SpeedoDRD Model: S1

Yes, I have one & have had it for many years now, no issues.  Mine looks a little different to the latest ones, but works perfect.  For me, I like to know what speed I'm actually doing, not having to juggle figures, I look at the speedo & what reads is what the true speed is.  Works for me anyway.

BbigMmac

Have a 43T on mine and love it. Seems to go through the gears a bit easier and pulls better in the higher gears. Speedo is about 7km negative now. Front wheel does get a bit lite every now and then.

seth

A 19tooth front will make the bike feel sluggish but the speedo will be pretty close to accurate.
Your bike will pull a bigger sprocket OK with what's done to it .
Better to fit as bigger front as smaller back (1 tooth wouldn't be to bad) as it will eat the rubber cover on the swing arm.
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

KiwiCol

I've got a surplus good condition 17 tooth front around here somewhere, was on the Blue when I got it, changed it back to 18T pretty much straight away.

GSXKING

I've never stuffed around changing gearing I think it's pretty spot on as an allrounder.
In my younger years I kept doing second gear wheelies and it started slipping. So I ended up undercutting second gear.
Bugger of a job taking motor out etc. but a friend of mine is a Suzuki trained expert. Out, gear done, back in and running total of 10 hours. P.S. he has a bad back so I had to muscle the motor out and in by myself 😳
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Hooli

Must admit I've always found the gearing on a 14 bang on. TBH if I was going to do anything I'd go a tooth down on the back & suspect it'd get the speedo about bang on.

Eric GSX1400K3

My K3came with non standard gearing when i bought it, changed to std front and rear sprockets when they were worn out, much better and speedo more accurate, cant tell much difference in 0-100 to be honest, still pulls like a freight train
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk