chain lube

Started by stick3, Wednesday, 08 February 2017, 02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweaty

Quote from: lil4399 on Friday, 03 August  2018, 03:49 AM
Quote from: grog on Thursday, 02 August  2018, 07:18 PM
Eric, i agree on vmx. you go a lot further than me. i just wipe over whole chain with kero, centrestand, spin n wipe. then oil can vmx on, spin a hundred times, wipe off. 20k ride, wipe everywhere its made a mess. job done. nothing seems to stick to chain. just checked today before lube, 1500ks, was spotless. also find much cleaner around front sprocket/ slave cylinder. and how nice does chain sound, just beautiful. that bloody wurth stuff i used to use, wurthless.

"....spin a hundred times, wipe off. 20k ride",   20K ride after cleaning the chain = time for a new chain or 4 years riding for me!  ;)

It's a big country lil, 20,000kms is only up the road  :grin:

KiwiCol

Quote from: Sweaty on Friday, 03 August  2018, 03:58 PM
Quote from: KiwiCol on Friday, 03 August  2018, 03:53 AM
Grog's just fast Hooli, he can cover 20k in no time!      (Probably has a Black :stir: :popcorn:)

I will give you a lil tip Col, it wasn't Hooli  :stir: :whistling: :grin:
Agreed, he must of been thinking about it then . . .
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

I did scroll back thinking 'wtf did I type?'  :lol:

grog

I just did another 20k home, clarify, 20 kilometres :lol:

KiwiCol

Sorry Hooli, my typo.  I was reading stuff early this morning, must have been some of yours & didn't realise it was Lil who posted that one.

GEORGE

I clean the chain with kerosene or Motul C1.
I let the chain to dry and then i use Motul C2.

grog

GEORGE, half a can of c2 here for free. also some wurth chain lube. im not a fan at all. try some gear oil, youll be impressed. IMO.

Sweaty

Yep, kerosene then gear oil for me too.

Andre

grog

Thanks Andre. Youve seen my way of doing it. I reckon it doubles chain/ sprocket life. Brake cleaner before lubing chain very important. Clean off with rag, better than brush. Oil can  for oil on inside of each side of chain. Multiple wheel spins. Rag off again, 20k ride, wipe off any excess. Job done.

Andre

Gear oil  :onya:
Brake cleaner  :thumbs_down: ??

Irish in Oz

I've always used it on my XJ and FJR.

stick3

i did my chain yesterday  and i like to take it for a spin for a few ks to dry before i oil it

but while i was caught at the lights few hundred mtrs down the road a car behind me biped his horn and pointed
so when the lights turn green i had to change lanes and pull over to see what the problem was

it was old set trakky pants i used as a rag and was wrapped around the swing arm between the chain it must  have got stuck to the tyre and i was heading to a road with a  90km speed limit  so a big thankyou to the driver for being observant

KiwiCol

oooow, that could of been nasty, lucky save there.

grog

Great result Stick. Couldve wrecked your day. Once rode 60 ks to Noosa. Bits of wool everywhere around back end on arrival. A scarf had fallen into the wheel/ chain. Never noticed a thing on ride.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk