News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Free Floating Discs

Started by gsxbarmy, Friday, 03 February 2017, 09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxbarmy

HOW TO Free Floating Discs

NOTE: This thread is also available to download as a PDF file from the Downloads (General) Section

The GSX1400 has “floating” front discs where the actual discs are held to the disc hubs by bobbins (the circular looking things with holes through them!), which get crudded up over time with brake dust and other road dirt and need clearing out to make them float freely again. To clean them is quite and easy and simple job to do.
First, obtain an 8mm bolt and 2x13mm nuts. Thread one nut onto the bolt and insert it through the bobbin from the inside. Now thread the other nut onto the bolt and thread it up so its tight enough to just grip the bobbin (i.e. you don’t need to heave on it, as the bolt needs to hold the bobbin enabling it to turn without compressing it).
Now using a spanner on the end of the nut, turn the whole bobbin assembly whilst at the same time spraying brake and clutch cleaner fluid into the “gap” between the bobbin and the disc. Keep turning and spraying the bobbin until it turns easily and all mucky has been removed (the cleaner will run clean rather than dirty)

Repeat for all other bobbins on the disc.
Once you have completed cleaning all bobbins, wipe discs over with a clean dry cloth to remove any residual brake and clutch cleaner residue that may possibly remain.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

froudy

Mine's an FE with standard discs and an M8 bolt won't go through the disc bobbins...I had to go right down to an M5 to do it.

It worked a treat though and got rid of the worrying knocking noise from the front end :onya:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

cawe

I used an battery powered drill with easy-outs and just set drill to slow and sprayed brake cleaner works a treat.

KiwiCol

Quote from: cawe on Sunday, 05 February  2017, 09:34 PM
I used an battery powered drill with easy-outs and just set drill to slow and sprayed brake cleaner works a treat.

I've done the same Cawe, battery drill.  I actually used a nail punch in the drill, the tapered shaft goes in the bobbin good.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Rod G

FWIW, I used an appropriately sized easy out into the centre of the bobbin in my cordless drill, on reverse.

Worked a charm for me!!   :grin: :grin:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

Mrg

A great tip ref the drill I will be putting that to good use ,,, as mine has a little vibration going on so that a good way to sort it out cheers guys  :onya:
look check and look again  then you see the fool

gsxbarmy

All, a little warning about using the drill. Its great when the bobbins are only lightly soiled, but if they are well and truly gummed up, starting with a drill can do more harm than good as the bit will spin inside the bobbin, or you'll get a kick on the drill.

Can I suggest (Health and safety here (wot on a 1400 forum Barmy good grief) that you start off with a bolt and spanner to get the bobbin moving at least and THEN use the drill to spin it whilst using brake cleaner.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Noddy

This is an often forgotten issue which will eliminate any judder. Would never recommend using a drill as I prefer to get a better feel for the resistance experienced and gently releasing bobbins.

Thanks for this post
Remember puddles are always flat on the top!

T 24

Battery drill and Screw Extractor Easy Out bits with brake cleaner is the easy way.

Mick_J

I think your pliers need a bit of oil Noddy  :whistling:
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Noddy

You overlooked that vintage-authentic tools are now valuable and these are indeed vintage and some say collectable. They will still be working when all the drills have died.
Remember puddles are always flat on the top!

Tony Nitrous

Did mine today.

Mines an 08 plated bike.
There was no hope of getting a bolt that big through the bobbins.
They look similar on the outside but much smaller on the inside.

I ended up using a smaller nut and bolt that only had 8mm heads.
I added a larger nut and washer to stop the 8mm head being pulled into the larger side.

2 x 8mm spanners to make sure they will turn, and give them a bit of a free up.
8mm socket on a drill and a good drink of brake cleaner.

When I started none of mine would turn by hand.
Half hour later they all turn by hand and heaps of muck washed out.

Tony Nitrous

grog

i just use the nut/bolt thing. ratchet n socket. lots of brake cleaner. never tried the drill, will next time. seems a great idea.

coldhands

Remember every car driver wants to knock you off !!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk