News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Homemade chain oiler

Started by mlivkovich, Wednesday, 04 October 2017, 06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlivkovich

Few days ago I started making chain oiler....
Let the pictures speak....

First had to find best place for solenoid valve and oil tank

mlivkovich

Oil flow is controlled by small gas valve. A small piece of fuel hose is tight fit on valve so it can be turned on and off.

mlivkovich

Oil filling is done with syringe through piece of clear tube wich is also a air intake.

mlivkovich

Still have to figure out how to make and mount a twin feed nozzle on rear sprocket. I made 2 nozzles but can't decide which one will be better. Any sugestion will be appreciated...

First one is made of piece of two-wires-cable with attached WD-40 straws. Second one is made of two syringe needles...

Andre

Always great to see someone being creative.  :clapping: I would go with the needle contraption as they are less likely to drift off the target. Or shorten the straws. Depends on how close you can mount either one.

T 24

Let us know how your system is working in practice.
I have just one hose from engine breather droping its few drops on chain over the swingarm shaft.
It drops oil, but not enough.

gsxbarmy

I'd go with the single pipe onto the chain. I discussed this with ScottOiler some years back, as they do both a single and twin exit for their appliance. What they said was that the single exit is sufficient, just clean your chain completely before first use and the oil will work it's way through the complete roller assembly. The twin set up they said was unnecessary but was available due to customer demand only. So I fitted the single setup, did what they said and it worked perfectly.

I also picked up a tip about using chainsaw oil in the reservoir - worked perfectly as the same viscosity as chain oiler oil.

For your delivery mechanism, it might be worth looking at the Scottoiler instructions for fitting (which you can download from their website (https://www.scottoiler.com/uk/products/products.html) for the 14 as there are some useful tips for fitting and positioning the delivery tip.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

KiwiCol

So is that any old 2 stroke oil Dave or does it have to be chainsaw 2 stroke?  :whistling:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Sweaty

Good job & well done for giving it a try  :notworthy:

gsxbarmy

Quote from: KiwiCol on Wednesday, 04 October  2017, 03:37 PM
So is that any old 2 stroke oil Dave or does it have to be chainsaw 2 stroke?  :whistling:

Only ever tried the Chainsaw oil myself, worked fine. No idea if any old 2-stroke oil will do - guess it comes down to how thick the stuff is and how easy it flows.

mlivkovich

All set up! I"ll give a try to a single nozzle. One drop every 90 sec. So far so good! :boogie2:

Blubber

How did this go?

Did you find time to ride it in decent weather?
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

mlivkovich

Quote from: Blubber on Thursday, 12 October  2017, 02:16 AM
How did this go?

Tried it for 2 hours, about 150 km ride. Chain is lubricated on both sides and I think this project was successful! :imrgreen:

Only problem is dripping oil when parked. Not much but still  dripping. I think the problem is tube lenght from flow control valve to nozzle (cca 1m)???

gsxbarmy

Quote from: mlivkovich on Friday, 13 October  2017, 02:02 AM
How did this go?

Tried it for 2 hours, about 150 km ride. Chain is lubricated on both sides and I think this project was successful! :imrgreen:

Only problem is dripping oil when parked. Not much but still  dripping. I think the problem is tube lenght from flow control valve to nozzle (cca 1m)???

Can you not put a non return valve (or one-way valve) in the delivery pipe, similar to what car manufacturer's use for the windscreen washer system. Would that work?

mlivkovich

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 13 October  2017, 04:14 AM
Quote from: mlivkovich on Friday, 13 October  2017, 02:02 AM
How did this go?

Can you not put a non return valve (or one-way valve) in the delivery pipe, similar to what car manufacturer's use for the windscreen washer system. Would that work?

Fixed!  :stir:
Discovered that when I am creating vacuum in vent pipe ( and oil reservoir) with open solenoid valve (ignition on) air is coming in hose in place where it's connected to flow control valve ( bubbles) even there was no oil leak. Fixed that with teflon tape and stronger zipties. Obviously that is the reason of oil leak (no vacuum)!
My garage floor is dry now!  :imrgreen:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk