News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Ignition key on my K3

Started by Tonythetiger, Sunday, 28 April 2024, 01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonythetiger

Well chaps, I've had a very close call today when I lost the bike keys and ALL of my locks were on,luckily my wife found them or it would have meant getting the cordless grinder on the go. So, my question is does the key have a transponder in for an immobiliser? do I need a spare key from the dealer?.
                               T.T.T

Hooli

Pre-K5 is just a basic key, anyone can cut you one & it'll just work.

TBh the lock could be so worn any key will work anyway. I changed my ignition lock the other  year & I'm still using my old key in the new lock as it works fine. Saves carrying two or making the effort to change the other two locks to match.

Tonythetiger

So the general opinion is don't bother with another key and all the costs and hassle therefore I shall not be bothering haha cheers boys.

KiwiCol

I'd still get another key cut, hell, it'll only cost a few dollars for that peace of mind.  Just hang it somewhere safe in the garage. 

If you're relying on basically any key being able to turn the ignition, at least try it before you need it, but, get a key cut.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Notty

Quote from: KiwiCol on Sunday, 28 April  2024, 04:31 AMI'd still get another key cut, hell, it'll only cost a few dollars for that peace of mind.  Just hang it somewhere safe in the garage. 

If you're relying on basically any key being able to turn the ignition, at least try it before you need it, but, get a key cut.
I put my spare in the garage for safety - however, old age means I now have no idea where  :bugga:  :bugga:  :bugga:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Tonythetiger

I know the feeling well NOTTY, I searched everywhere and my wife found them in the dog's treat tin under the bench in the kitchen haha, I've not got a clue why I'd put them there but I had. I literally had the grinder in my hand ready to cut ALL the locks off. If she hadn't realised I had walked the dog earlier it would have been a very expensive day.
                                Tony.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk