Major Update coming to the ORG

Started by VladTepes, Friday, 18 February 2022, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blubber

New site feels a lot more "now" if that makes any sense.  Have not tried to upload or post stuff but the first impression is nice ( on a mobile phone screen)
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

grog

Forgot to mention Vlad, looks real good. Lots of hard yakka in that i reckon.

VladTepes

OK time for another update, news-wise.

As mentioned we are currently using the 'older' forum software version 2.0.x  (currently 2.0.19)

I have been testing the new software, - beta version on my forum ytyak.com and the site linked in the original post in this thread is on 2.1.1 (production).

The updated SMF forum software is now up to 2.1.2 and is sufficiently stable that I am pappy to upgrade the forum to the new version of the software.

So that job has moved from my "one day" list to my "to do" list.

There will be a few changes and for those who have not seen, have a look at

the video here:

and the sample forum here:
https://gsx1400owners.org/21upgradetest/index.php?action=forum

(Please note the sample is a test site only NOT the working version of the ORG so anything you post there will NOT be posted here, and will be lost).

Some of the major changes off the top of my head include:

* 'Likes' are now built into the forum's core software, rather than a separate mod. They'll work in exactly the same way, only existing likes won't get carried over. 

* @mention members is also now part of core not an add on, it will work exactly the same way it does now.

* Some of the modifications we have on the forum are not compatible with the new forum software.  In some cases we can get by without them, in some cases a good alternative is available, and in some cases authors have updated existing mods to suit!

* The most significant and important difference (and the key reason I have waited to update the forum) is that some of the security mods (protecting us from spammers) are not compatible with the new version, and the authors are no longer around to update them, and they don't have a software license allowing others to update them legally.

The good news is that I've implemented a new antispam measure and have been testing it on the two forums I run (this one and YTYak.com) and it is effective.  It's a paid product but not expensive and certainly worth it.

So functionally there won't be too much to get your head around - the main thing is to familiarise yourself with the user menus (see top left hand corner of the example site)

The remainder of the changes for most people are largely aesthetic.

(There is a change to where things are found in the admin menus so a few of us will need to get used to that - me included)

Feel free to ask any questions.

And if you are watching the video on YouTube please like and subscribe. :onya:
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Eric GSX1400K3

Good job mate, new interface looks good
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

VladTepes

So the PLAN is to do it this weekend, my time.

I'm posting this Thursday 14/7 4:35PM

(GMT +10)

Downtime will be anywhere from 45 minutes to 6 days :lol: but prob a few hours.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

seth

only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

grog

VladTepes

Update: Well the plan is for this to happen later this week or on the weekend.

I'll put the site into maintenance mode before the update so that hopefully there won't be any period during which posts are lost.

Important! Please note that you will have to know your password to log back in after the upgrade occurs.
Auto-fill passwords may not work for the first login as the 'cookies' will change.

Any questions feel free to ask. :)  :onya:

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

VladTepes

Update: yeah yeah I know. :)  Will happen soon will keep you all informed :)

There is actually a mild hiccup with 2.1.2 and version 2.1.3 is evidently not far around the corner (and addresses the potential hiccup) so I may wait until that happens.  Hopefully just a matter of weeks.

Meanwhile if anyone hasn't watched the video - please do.

And if you are watching the video on YouTube please like and subscribe. :onya:

Thanks all.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

VladTepes

Ok the new version 2.1.3 has now been released and I WILL be updating the forum.

I'll give you all plenty of notice. Certainly won't be before this weekend.

The forum will still be located at  https://gsx1400owners.org/forum so any shortcuts and bookmarks you have will still work.

Steps you need to take in advance:

1. Ensure you know your username and PASSWORD.
(auto fill may not work first time you login as the 'cookie will change'

2. Ensure you've watched - and understand - the above video.

3. Follow or bookmark our facebook page where I will update as I go.  link:   https://www.facebook.com/gsx1400owners/

4. Ensure you have something else to do for a half-day or so. I dunno maybe get out on the 1400! Or for you winter types - have a sauna (for you Finns) or huddle around the inadequate radiator consuming lots of expensive gas and slowly freezing to death (for those in the UK).  :stir:

Stay Tuned.  :onya:

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

grog

Vlad, no clue on my password, can i reset. Forget this post, just sorted it.

Eric GSX1400K3

:rofl2:just reset your password to be "forgot", so then when you can't remember it, clicking the link "forgot your password?" You'll then remember it.....
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

Quote from: Eric GSX1400K3 on Tuesday, 22 November  2022, 07:27 PM
:rofl2:just reset your password to be "forgot", so then when you can't remember it, clicking the link "forgot your password?" You'll then remember it.....

When colleagues at work forget their passwords it often ends up as 'Amnesia123'.

gsxbarmy

Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

VladTepes

OK We are at the stage of doing a duplicate of the ENTIRE forum (bit of excess server space needed for that I can tell you) so we can test the upgrade succeeds without errors.

Once we can be sure of that I will announce a date for the actual changeover. (finally)

Any members who haven't done so yet please view:

Ta

Any questions - just ask :)

in the thread here: https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=7358.0

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk