News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Biker

Nice polishing Notty! Although not somthing I'm familiar with  :whatever: :onya:
Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

Notty

The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Basil Brush

Just in process of fitting a new Delkevic 4:2 collector. Honest - it nearly took me longer to fit the the 'grommet' from hell supporting the rear of the collector. Then dropping cans/taking old SBS collector off.

Mrs Brush saw me struggling. Why not use some lubrication - hmmm... :embarrassed:
He who laugh's last - laugh's last...

Red Biker

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

seth

Plan talked through the leak is from gasket faces .
So hopefully now has a plan on next moves .
:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

rekib

First run of the year, Matlock of course.....running like a dream.

Blubber

Quote from: Red Biker on Wednesday, 21 February  2018, 03:52 AM
oil leak is back!  :facepalm:

I too thought my drain plug was leaking
...twice.
First time it turned out to be melting off slung chain lube after a spirited run.
Cleaned the sprocket cover area and Jobs done.

Second time is was oil leaking from the check valve gallery plug. That plug is hidden under the left engine cover between the frame rails.
Tightened the plug and again... Job done.

Might be your issue too?
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

Red Biker

Quote from: KiwiCol on Wednesday, 21 February  2018, 04:40 AM
Quote from: Red Biker on Wednesday, 21 February  2018, 03:52 AM
oil leak is back!  :facepalm:
From the sump plug?  Didn't you just get a helicoil put in there?

Hi Col,
No bolt is ok, it's from the side, old bollock thumbs here trapped the belly pan fastner in it when bolting back together  :doh:
I've put a new gasket on and gently wet and dried it but still no good, I've just ordered some of this to try:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liquid-Gasket-Threebond-1215-Engine-Sump-Gearbox-Sealer-250g-Tube-ADV/352130830596?epid=1023501129&hash=item51fca21104:g:r~MAAOSwQfpZulz8

Sweaty

Snapey

I don't know the product Red but I avoid using any silicone product as a filler gasket. There's a big chance of residue silicone floating around in the sump and clogging up an oil passage.

I've used Knead-it to fix problems similar to yours with great success but maybe only available in Oz. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Selleys-Knead-It-Multi-Purpose-50g/192210458141?epid=1029805030&hash=item2cc0a2d61d:g:T9UAAOSwQwZaev2i
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

Red Biker

Quote from: Sweaty on Wednesday, 21 February  2018, 08:03 PM
That sucks Red, hope that solves the problem.

Sure does Sweaty, I was pretty much road ready but back to square one again now !!
TBF I'm strictly a Summer rider so I do have time on my side  :salute:

Red Biker

Quote from: Snapey on Wednesday, 21 February  2018, 08:20 PM
I don't know the product Red but I avoid using any silicone product as a filler gasket. There's a big chance of residue silicone floating around in the sump and clogging up an oil passage.

I've used Knead-it to fix problems similar to yours with great success but maybe only available in Oz. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Selleys-Knead-It-Multi-Purpose-50g/192210458141?epid=1029805030&hash=item2cc0a2d61d:g:T9UAAOSwQwZaev2i

Thanks for the tip Snapey  :onya:
It doesn't mention temperature tolerance in their description, have you used it on/inside the engine casings?

Cheers

Mister Fishfinger

I would also avoid silicone sealers for the above reason - you don't want stray blobs of dried sealant blocking an oil passage, it could be a disaster.

I use Threebond 1184 when putting crankcases together on Japanese engines. It's re-badged by manufacturers as Yamabond or Hondabond (with a suitable markup of course) and it is designed for metal-to-metal contact where there isn't a gasket. If you use it correctly it will seal like a bank vault and you will be the envy of anyone with an old British bike.

However, it probably won't work in your case because it sounds like you have damaged the mating surfaces and there may be too much gap to fill.

In that case you might want to try JB Weld in the dents, it's a very hard epoxy resin. You can fill the indentations with it, let it set for 24 hours then gently file and sand the mating surfaces flat again. You will need to be very careful to get it dead flat and not damage the adjacent surfaces, and it also has to be scrupulously clean and oil-free beforehand, but it does work. It's a bodge, but a good one.

Red Biker

Thanks for the input guys
I've spoken to their technical dept who assure me it's tested and used by Subaru race team amongst others and is sponsored by them.

Re getting inside the engine, he's said that as with all applications if you put too much on it will get inside, the idea is to use this sparingly from the outside edge, if applied in one piece it has zero chance of separating as it sets so hard. It can be applied with or without the exisiting gasket.

Its on its way so kinda stuck (excuse the pun) now!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk