News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

While fitting the throttle cables yesterday I just couldn't get my fingers in so removed the throttle bodies to make life easier. I feel dirty admitting it, but I did clean them up a bit while they where off. I took a couple of pics down the inlets too just to see how clean the valve stems are at this age. Looks pretty clean to me & yes I did wipe that dirt out before putting it all back together.

Red Biker

Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

Hooli

To clean the throttle bodies?

I scrubbed alloy wheel cleaner in with a paintbrush & then hosed them down. Took about 5mins for that improvement.

Speedy1959

I thought oooh I know..
I will grease all the gear change linkages..
There was a definite improvement with ease of gear change. . . . . . . .

Until . . .

The gear lever fell off whilst i was out on a ride..
I hadn't attached the circlip properly !!!!!
I pulled over in top gear and cut the engine. Re attached the pedal (which was hanging off via the linkage and selected 2nd gear and gingerly went to a local car accessory shop. Thankfully they had circlips

Hooli

Speedy1959

Quote from: Hooli on Monday, 16 October  2017, 03:37 AM
Haha pillock!

We've all done something equally daft.

I just knew I would attract sympathy and understanding..
Lol
:embarrassed:

Hooli

That's coming from someone who fitted new front pads & forgot to pump the brakes up before a test run...
The first roundabout was interesting.

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Monday, 16 October  2017, 03:16 AM
I thought oooh I know..
I will grease all the gear change linkages..
There was a definite improvement with ease of gear change. . . . . . . .

Until . . .

The gear lever fell off whilst i was out on a ride..
I hadn't attached the circlip properly !!!!!
I pulled over in top gear and cut the engine. Re attached the pedal (which was hanging off via the linkage and selected 2nd gear and gingerly went to a local car accessory shop. Thankfully they had circlips

Having said that, the groove for the circlip isn't exactly deep on the spline either, i actually filed mine a little deeper to make sure the clip stayed on on mine.
You do know that there also was a washer between the circlip and gear lever though - so if that's gone, you need another washer...
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Mister Fishfinger

Spent the weekend feeling sorry for myself. Had an operation on Friday, too sore to move much now, so I'm watching the nice dry weather through the window. I'm not even mobile enough to clean my bike.  :bugga:

Red Biker

Weird one yesterday!
As most know I've been on a tour of Scotland recently and last week gave the bike a good old bath.
Yesterday went for a quick blast and the rear brake wasn't really working felt really clunky and wasn't really helping to stop the bike.

When I got back I had it on the stand to have a look and when spinning the wheel and using my hand on the rear brake it was fine!!
Could it be WD got into the caliper?
Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

Mick_J

Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

Blubber

Quote from: Red Biker on Monday, 16 October  2017, 06:56 PM
Weird one yesterday!
As most know I've been on a tour of Scotland recently and last week gave the bike a good old bath.
Yesterday went for a quick blast and the rear brake wasn't really working felt really clunky and wasn't really helping to stop the bike.

When I got back I had it on the stand to have a look and when spinning the wheel and using my hand on the rear brake it was fine!!
Could it be WD got into the caliper?

Does the pedal move freely? 

my pedal pivot needed some grease to free it up.
Wreck-it Richard - one of the unDutchables

seth

i use chain lub on the brake pedal pivot as it penitrates very well and is water resistant.  :cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

gsxbarmy

I've had this happen before where the brake seems to work properly when you have the bike up on the stand, but doesn't pull you up at all well.

Basically Nigel, the piston(s) need a good clean. The pistons on the rear caliper move only very fractionally compared to the front, and also being upside down, manage to hang onto all the shite, crud and god knows what else the road throws up. Especially after riding in bad weather - so much so that a ring of crud builds up around the front of the caliper seal right by the piston which stop it moving properly (or should I say effectively)

Simple fix. Drop the caliper off the disc, and whilst holding one of the pistons, gently press the brake pedal so the other piston starts to come out. Using a toothbrush, ear bud (whatever) clean off the rime of crud that has built up around the piston. If you have some red rubber grease, smear a very thin film around the exposed piston. Let go of the piston you are holding and push the piston you have just cleaned back into the caliper body. Clean off any excess red rubber grease. Now repeat for the other piston. Then pull both pistons back equidistant and refit the caliper. Pump rear brake. Job done.

If you don't have any red rubber grease, a thin smear of brake fluid works as well, just make sure though that either the rubber grease or brake fluid is all cleaned off before you re-assemble!
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

essexboydave

I got the old Guzzi California MOT'd today and it passed with only a couple of minor advisories  :grin: I might even treat it to a bit of a clean at some point later this year....or maybe next  ;) ;) ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk