News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Continuing - So what did you do to your bike today...?

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andre

Elbow grease and Autosol Aluminum Polish (or other good aluminum polish), which does protect it a little bit, several times a year. By removing the original protection the aluminum will not only dull after time but also chip way easier!

You can powder coat them transparently. If the job is done right however, they will have to "roughen" the surface so the coat will not flake off over time. However, that will take the nice shine away. They will not be able to apply primer which also makes it more likely to flake-off. The look will resemble the original look!

There is also powder coating with "high gloss chrome effect" available. I think that is a much better option as a primer can be applied first. Don't have them put a layer of transparent coating on it as that will need roughening again and thus dull the "chrome effect".

Another option is to get it chromed.

Hooli

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Notty on Friday, 01 September  2017, 06:28 AM
Polished my engine cases today - is there anything that can be put on to protect them from becoming dull again?  :smile2:

Before I sold my 14 on, I was going to try this Notty, but never did, but I thought it might just do the job being an etch lacquer, so would bond - not sure about the heat aspect though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5L-2K-Clear-Etch-Clearcoat-Gloss-Lacquer-For-Aluminium-Alloys-Steel-Surfaces-/192218644790?hash=item2cc11fc136:g:GwUAAOSw~gRVte21

Beware though - I think that's just the lacquer, you still need a gun to apply it.

To me though I'm not sure there is a lacquer that will stick properly to any polished surface for any length of time - hence why I started using the Mothers range of polishes, with the Billet Alloy polish and Mag & Alloy Polish - had some good results with both and the shine lasted quite a few weeks before it needed a top up

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mothers-Billet-Metal-Polish-4oz-/381748263281?epid=620733650&hash=item58e1f83971:g:VQYAAOSwV0RXvvoH

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mothers-Mag-and-Aluminium-Alloy-Metal-Polish-5oz-147ml-/322150861001?epid=620733650&hash=item4b01b008c9:g:JUoAAOSwZLhY2-E6
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Hooli

I got out of work early & took the long route home.

Tony Nitrous

Haven't used the 14 in a while.

Just gave it a once over.
Oil, 36/38 in the tyres, lube the chain, stuck a 1amp charger on it.

See how I feel in the morning,
Couple of strong coffee's and I should be good to go.

Me after 2 coffee's and ready for a day out....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_94viw75ulc

Kiwifruit

Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Notty

More polishing - had to do it as there was a bad scratch and no idea how it happened - 3 more to go - guess I will regret it quite soon  :bugga:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

grog

i dreaded doing mine, they annoyed me. looking dull. was easy in the end. couple of hours well spent few yrs back, now just a rag, autosol, some wax. always pleases me. some paint them black, why. part of a 14 character i reckon, shiny cam ends. well done mate.

Hooli

Del

Bl00dy right hand fork seal again - so freed off the bobbins and while forks were off I cleaned and polished the downpipes

turns out the fork seal wasn't to blame it was the where the seal sits in the bottom fork housing that was a bit pitted so cleaned and applied a little silicone sealant - fingers crossed  :smiley sign0181: :smiley sign0181:
All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

grog

have been stressing a while on low speed crash protectors, all parts aquired or made. will fit this week. next on list, always a list. new fr. pads, new fr. tyre, fr. guard wrapped with carbon fibre look, fr. of tank same wrap over stone chips, just each side. rear brake torque rod some satin black. pretty much sorted then. next project, footpeg hangers.

Notty

Quote from: Hooli on Sunday, 03 September  2017, 06:44 PM
A nice salt bath gets them all looking the same :)
Thats the advantage of being retired - no need to ride in snow ice and rain  -more hours polishing then riding !! Lol  :smile2:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Red Biker

Quote from: grog on Monday, 04 September  2017, 08:47 PM
have been stressing a while on low speed crash protectors, all parts aquired or made. will fit this week. next on list, always a list. new fr. pads, new fr. tyre, fr. guard wrapped with carbon fibre look, fr. of tank same wrap over stone chips, just each side. rear brake torque rod some satin black. pretty much sorted then. next project, footpeg hangers.

Hey Grog,
My tank has a few pitted marks on the right shoulder so made the decision to do the tank myself!!! The guy I share the garage with has just bought a sand blaster so come winter that's me!
Never done it before or used a spray gun but what's the worst that can happen  :whistling:

Red
Many a Donkey has lost its hoof on the rocky road, don't be that Donkey!

Hooli

Quote from: Notty on Monday, 04 September  2017, 10:11 PM
Quote from: Hooli on Sunday, 03 September  2017, 06:44 PM
A nice salt bath gets them all looking the same :)
Thats the advantage of being retired - no need to ride in snow ice and rain  -more hours polishing then riding !! Lol  :smile2:

It's an 'anti-theft coating' so when I go touring I can park anywhere & there is always a better condition bike around that'd get nicked first.

Buddynq

Got me mates K2 around to give it the @grog treatment.

So much caked on gunk that had to be scraped off before the gear oil application.
My garage floor will never rust

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk