News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Starter Clutch an issue on this bike?

Started by Coopz, Tuesday, 20 February 2024, 11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopz

Weird issue, my bike is running fine (K2 with 52k). My dad had a old 1982 Yammy XS1100 that's done about 60k. The bikes starter clutch failed last week and we spent the weekend replacing it (my dad is a ex marine mechanic with solid bike knowledge and his friend who is a retired bike mechanic, with me as the grease monkey..) it was a huge, messy and shit job.. Engine had to be removed from bike (ack, awful job..), major disassembly, flywheel off.
We started at 10am and finished about 3pm (hot day as well), bike is ok now and good for another 40 years but is this a issue with the 1400? Only asking as I would never want to do this again, even with 2 experienced mechanics it was a crap job. Just made me a bit paranoid as my bikes 22 years old and its got similar mileage to the XS1100.

seth

There have been a couple of reported problems with starter clutches but that is very very uncommon.
Many bikes with way higher mileages than your quoting have not had any problems at all.
The main thing is regularly servicing (oil every 4000 miles) and all should be good .
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Coopz

OK thanks, it's reassuring to know it's not a common issue. The 1100cc engine was a pig to extract..

grog

Keep on riding Coopz, if its not broken no need to worry about fixing it, just my way of thinking.

seth

Quote from: Coopz on Tuesday, 20 February  2024, 05:34 PMOK thanks, it's reassuring to know it's not a common issue. The 1100cc engine was a pig to extract..
Even if there ever was a problem. the start clutch and all its parts can be accessed with the motor in the frame as everything is under the left side engine casting.
Some of k5 gsx1400's also had a problem with the alternator bolt coming lose 1 of the side effects of this was not starting but very easily fixed by fitting a new to the correct torque( there was a below specification batch if bolts fitted to some bike's)
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Hooli

I was gonna say what seth said, the only starter issues I've heard of that could be classed as common is the stator bolt on some k5s.

There's loads of 14s out there with a lot higher mileage than yours, don't worry about it as it's hardly run in. Mine will tick over 175k miles on it's current tank of juice for example.

Eric GSX1400K3

54000km on my K3 and still spins up at the first press of the button everytime. Never heard of starter motor issues on these 1402's
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Notty

16,000 miles on mine and still spins fine  :rofl2:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Tally

GSXKING

Quote from: Notty on Wednesday, 21 February  2024, 12:20 AM16,000 miles on mine and still spins fine  :rofl2:

@Notty that's not something I'd be Bragging about lol 😂
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

GSXKING

Like many things on GSX1400's and Suzukis in general of this time frame, the tolerances when they were built was an extremely high standard so many issues suffered by other UJM's aren't even on the radar. I've owned mine from new ridden 148,000+ kms over 22+ years with very few issues. 🏆🥇
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk