News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Gear lever position

Started by Phill P, Wednesday, 03 May 2023, 03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phill P

Quote from: Tony Nitrous on Friday, 05 May  2023, 07:19 PMFirst things I do after the first ride on any new bike, clutch and front brake levers, gear lever and brake pedal positions.

I would agree with you but this was my first bike in 12 years so I needed to get the feel of it first before I started playing too much.
Now I have a few miles under my belt I can now start playing, every thing is new, bike, helmet,jacket, trousers,boots and gloves, everything is getting broken in  :grin:

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: Phill P on Saturday, 06 May  2023, 02:43 AM
Quote from: Tony Nitrous on Friday, 05 May  2023, 07:19 PMFirst things I do after the first ride on any new bike, clutch and front brake levers, gear lever and brake pedal positions.
I needed to get the feel of it first before I started playing too much.

Absolutely!

I'm a huge believer in this.

Almost on a daily basis I hear folk trying to change bike that they just aren't familiar with. Don't like the seat, bars, grips, footpegs etc etc on bikes they just aren't familiar with. Folk saying a bike "isn't comfortable" when their body's just aren't familiar with a new bike.

With Busa's it's not new to me but I was the same with my last Kawasaki and ran it around a while before I decided what I liked and didn't.

Hooli

Yup like people who ride 25 miles a year modifying a bike to go faster. Learn to use what you've got first.

Speedy1959

Quote from: Hooli on Saturday, 06 May  2023, 05:47 PMYup like people who ride 25 miles a year modifying a bike to go faster. Learn to use what you've got first.
LOL Hooli
Very good !

Phill P

Soooo tweaked the gear lever position down a bit and feels much better, still a little clunky on 1st to 2nd but position is better. Also moved the rear brake down a little to match. As a side comment had a clean of the what I think are black widow down pipes with Dr Downpipe, was initially a little disapointed, but with time and elbow grease turned out actually OK. May try out a scotbrite wheel to make life easier.

KiwiCol

Quote from: Phill P on Sunday, 14 May  2023, 05:19 AMSoooo tweaked the gear lever position down a bit and feels much better, still a little clunky on 1st to 2nd but position is better. Also moved the rear brake down a little to match. As a side comment had a clean of the what I think are black widow down pipes with Dr Downpipe, was initially a little disapointed, but with time and elbow grease turned out actually OK. May try out a scotbrite wheel to make life easier.

Shhhh, don't tell Dave Barmy you're thinking of putting a Scotch-brite wheel on your headers, he'll have a heart attack.  :onya:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Kiwifruit

Scotch-brite might be a bit harsh. Metal polishing mop in a drill with some course cutting compound be worth a try first Phill.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Eric GSX1400K3

Elbow grease with autosol metal polish, gets em shiny evertyime.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

Exactly correct Eric.

Phill P

Tried autosol, and a mop, wouldn't touch it.
The scotchbrite left no marks, I'll get a pic up later, it gone a bit golden now because I took it out for a run,  but looks much better.

Phill P

So outer one has gone a little golden from the heat,but if you compare to the inaccessible inner one that's what I started with. No minor scratching apart from what was already on it.

20230514_144534.jpg

20230514_144538.jpg

Nic

Who remember the good ol Goddards Glow, it was a little more abrasive than the then named Solvol Autosol, the Goddards was yellow in colour and smelled bloody brilliant, you could smell it even after polishing something, both had their jobs. Damn shame it's gone, been gone for ages too.
I polished up my stock headers with Autosol, wrap a rag fully around the pipe, bring both end back out, apply plenty of Autosol ( you'll want a good 1/2 tube of the stuff) and pull alternatively on each end of the rag back n forth, choir material again probably but it was easy, no effort at all, polished up a treat in no time at all, that's with the stock pipes though, not sure how an aftermarket single wall pipe would go?
I hate how SS goes brown, I'd rather hit em up with a torch and get that blue look but alas, I only have the boring old stock headers but they hold their shine pretty well.

grog

Autosol hand rubbed keeps my stuff very nice.Probably been using 50 years.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 16 May  2023, 05:24 PMAutosol hand rubbed keeps my stuff very nice.Probably been using 50 years.

WD40, Mr Sheen, Autosol... been my 3 for many many years.

Nic

Quote from: Tony Nitrous on Tuesday, 16 May  2023, 05:43 PM
Quote from: grog on Tuesday, 16 May  2023, 05:24 PMAutosol hand rubbed keeps my stuff very nice.Probably been using 50 years.

WD40, Mr Sheen, Autosol... been my 3 for many many years.
Mr Sheen stinks, I hate it now, I used to use it all the time but they changed it. WD40, hate the smell that shit too. Sorry, I just do. I have a can of it but rarely go there.
And nothing to say about Goddards Glow  :rolleyes:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk