News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Rear Brake

Started by grog, Wednesday, 28 June 2023, 07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

I don't understand you lot that don't use it much, I always find my 14 feels more stable when braking if I use both. Especially with luggage or a pilly.

KiwiCol

FWIW, I use mine a lot, feel the same as Hooli in regard to stability & control using both.  Just my 2c worth.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Mick_J

I use my back brake a lot as well, good in town, traffic lights, car parks, on gravel and setting up for fast corners, it just helps the stability.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

GSXKING

Fast corners & applying brakes doesn't compute.
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

KiwiCol

Quote from: GSXKING on Thursday, 29 June  2023, 06:21 PMFast corners & applying brakes doesn't compute.

Trail braking, yeah it does.  It's not like we're on a race track or anything.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Hooli

A slight braking action (even if just rolling off the throttle) dips the front, compresses the forks & reduces the effective rake so turn in is faster.

Makes sod all difference on the road really except feeling nicer as you ride it.

GSXKING

:stir:  :stir:  :stir:
As many different riding styles as there are riders.
Downunder we have windy roads close by ie Brisbane has Mt. Glorious  :cheers:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Tony Nitrous

Having or not having ABS makes bugger all difference 99+% of the time.

I ride two bikes that are very similar, one has Bosch smart 6-axis IMU, ABS brakes. The other has no ABS.  ABS like most tech makes bugger all difference on a normal day. It's just like insurance, it's there when things go wrong.  I'm not sure why some folk don't like ABS, if you find it noticeable and it's coming on then you're doing something wrong.

GSX14's rear brake is OK. Nothing special but it works and does as much as I want it too.

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Thursday, 29 June  2023, 01:34 PMI dont suppose there is a way of mounting a caliper (from another bike model) in a "non upside down way" is there ?
My Previous CB1300 had this and the that too had a conventional swing arm!

@Speedy1959 there is - but how its done I don't know. There was an engine tuner on the old (original) org called grumpy who apart from tuning engines (particularly Busa) used to modify frames a tad and I seem to recall that he fitted a Busa swing arm to a 14 and that had the caliper mounted on top rather than below. Now - whether he had to modify to fit or re-align chain run, I have no idea. But I have seen it done

@Tony Nitrous you have some Busa's - in your opinion would this be possible?
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

grog

I just want mine working again, no idea if i trail brake, i doubt it. I didnt even realise i counter steered, someone mentioned, i took notice, seemed had always been my normal. Things you learn , amazing.

Tony Nitrous

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Thursday, 29 June  2023, 06:39 PM
Quote from: Speedy1959 on Thursday, 29 June  2023, 01:34 PMI dont suppose there is a way of mounting a caliper (from another bike model) in a "non upside down way" is there ?

@Speedy1959 there is - but how its done I don't know. There was an engine tuner on the old (original) org called grumpy who apart from tuning engines (particularly Busa) used to modify frames a tad and I seem to recall that he fitted a Busa swing arm to a 14 and that had the caliper mounted on top rather than below. Now - whether he had to modify to fit or re-align chain run, I have no idea. But I have seen it done

Can't see any real dramas.

Looking at mine...

Gen-1 Busa, GSXR1100... underneath with a torque arm.

Gen-2 Busa, Gen-3 Busa, B-King, all above but none use a torque arm. Caliper mount runs in a slider on the swingarm.

Can't see why not. As long as the caliper and mount sit right on the disc the only fab work would be a mount to the swingarm to take a torque arm on the top side of the swingarm.   

grog

Seems to me a lot of stuffing around for bugger all gain.

Tony Nitrous

Quote from: grog on Thursday, 29 June  2023, 07:09 PMSeems to me a lot of stuffing around for bugger all gain.

Agreed, it wouldn't be high on my list.

If I was building a special, using a Busa type arm to do a monoshock conversion etc then it'd be the way to go, but I ride and work on Busa's with both over and under rear calipers and it's no big deal. Both do their jobs without a huge difference.

hard road

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Thursday, 29 June  2023, 06:39 PM

easy enough job, you could use a rear calliper from a GS500 as they sit on top, you would have to weld a bracket to the top of the swinger for the torque arm though. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk