News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

How To - Refurbishing Brake Calipers

Started by Del, Saturday, 07 November 2020, 08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Del

I reckon I have refurbished well over 50 set of calipers and this is how I do it - hope its of some help

Strip the calipers down to all separate components

Bodies – I clean in thinners to get brake fluid out, remove grease and some of the grime
I then used a bench mounted fine wire wheel to remove the rest of the detritus and the old paint – once clean I mount the caliper halves in a vice and using a Dremel with a wire wheel I clean to piston seal grooves to remove the build up of corrosion (it can be fairly hard so persevere here to make sure you get a good clean surface so the new seals sit where they should do)

At this point I run a tap down all the threads to clean these out

Now wipe down with panel wiper (or thinners) to make sire clean

Masking – I mount in the vice again (soft jaws) and place masking tape over the mating and piston holes – the overlap of the masking tape I remove with a very fine file or scalpel

Painting – I sit the caliper halves on rattle can lids – I use a base coat to spray 2 or 3 light coats over the inside and outside faces of the halves – leaving a few hours to cure

If your using rattle cans you may need a few more coats to get a decent build up

Tokico Raised Lettering – to remove the paint from the raised lettering I place 2 layers of masking tape around the lettering and then using a fine flat file I lightly remove the paint – once paint all off a light brushing with a Scotchbrite pad to get a machined look – Wipe again with panel wipe –(not thinners as thinners will remove paint and your back at square 1)

Clear Coating/Lacquering – same principal as the painting – I use a 2K clearcoat applying 2 light coats until I get desired finish – don't go to heavy on the lacquer as it tends to come away in the bolt holes when torqueing up
Of using rattle cans then this is a lot thinner than using the spray gun so may need a few more coats
(I now have the caliper halves vapor blasted as gets them so clean they are ready to paint)

Pistons – I clean in thinners and if the pistons are steel ones, I lightly remove any grime on the bench mounted wire wheel – If alloy ones no abrasives as this removes the coating - if any of the pistons are badly scored get a replacement at this time because if you use a scored or pitted piston you will just wreck the seal

Rebuilding – Placing all you need for one caliper on a clean towel – then using red rubber grease give the seals a light smearing and put into the groove – any remaining grease on your hands wipe on the piston and inset the piston making sure it is level as this makes it go in smoothly – repeat for all 6 pistons

Put the 2 halves together and put in all the half bolts until tight – I torque up on a jig I made to 25Nm or you can wait till the caliper is on the fork leg an then torque up

Caliper is now ready to refit

Hope this helps

Del

All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

SA14

Thanks @😎KiwiCol.

Just did my first rebuild today. Kind of wished I'd painted them but the caliper paint at the shop was the wrong gold so I proceeded and left the old paint on. Some great tips here @Del thanks for the write up. Got some pics for us? What paint do you use? I doubt we'd have the same brand down here in the colonies but I'd like to eventually spruce them up. Wire wheel inside the grooves was something I didn't think of but mine looked pretty clean, gave them a light going over with a small brass wire brush. Hopefully they'll do the job and not leak. I'll know soon enough I guess.

Athelstanexxx

For whom, like myself, preferring an outsourcing rebuild, let me mention here the guys at POWERHOUSE, accidentally found on eBay, but with a pretty website
https://www.powerhouse.uk/content/motorcycle-brakes/motorcycle-brake-caliper-rebuild-service.php

I am planning to forward my calipers to them and have them refurbished and painted
Proud owner of a K3 GSX1400 now K6++ as look

nod

why not send them to Del,,,top of this page,,
top job by him,,

seth

That's where mine will go @Del
His work is top notch .
Just to add he's one of us . :cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

mlivkovich

After great and detailed description it would be shame not to mention to put seals (little o-rings) between halves before assembling :devil: :cheers:

GSXKING

GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

VladTepes

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Athelstanexxx

I am of course interested in contacting Den for my Calipers yet to be restored.
Do you have a website? Thank you
Proud owner of a K3 GSX1400 now K6++ as look

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Athelstanexxx on Thursday, 26 November  2020, 10:02 PM
I am of course interested in contacting Den for my Calipers yet to be restored.
Do you have a website? Thank you

@Del
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

seth

@Del
Does his refurbs as a hobby just pm him he's normally on here fairly often  :cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Eric GSX1400K3

I am just about to refurbish my K3 caliper including a new seal kit  I have found this kit through ebay.

Am I correct in assuming this is the one most people use?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150958308691?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0&ssspo=hS1wkmtVSpa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=_M0J_4k6R_O&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

For us in the colonies, there is also Mick Hone, however their kit is a bit dearer, then again they are genuine Suzuki parts, the UK supplier uses oem spec, which is different than genuine.

I am tempted to do the rear at the same time. I have not yet serviced these callipers since I've owned this bike.

I will do the disc bobbins at the same time
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

froudy

@Eric GSX1400K3

I definitely wouldn't bother with the overpriced ones!
Powerhouse kits are very good and recommended too.
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

Speedy1959

On my last GSX (Old Sophie) I ordered from Powerhouse the set of 4 piston calipers to do the mod I did..
Very nice quality and no complaints so I would think their kits will be well up to standard.

S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk