4-Pot Caliper conversion - Caliper Options

Started by gsxbarmy, Friday, 03 February 2017, 08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

V_i_c_i

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Thursday, 14 December  2017, 10:55 PM
Related to this topic...
The best front brakes on any bike I have owned were the FOUR POTS off my pevious bike..
My Yamaha MT-01

The later MT-01's had 6 pot calipers in order to keep up with fashions..
I rode one of the last MT-01's with the 6 pot caliper version and can say they were NOT as good as mine ! (With 4 pots).

Just different brake pads do huge difference.
My OEM 6 pots + OEM brake disk + Brembo Sinter brake pads work perfect. No reason why change it for me.

Kiwifruit

Have wondered how much better 4 pots could be? I am well happy with my OEM 6 pots, original rotors and EBC HH pads. I have had occaision to emergency brake with the wife on the back and i was worried I might lock the front. So I cannot wish for better stopping than that.
At the couple of track days l've done l dont seem to be too scruffy on the brakes. I like the feel of the front brake. To be fair l have no complaints at all.
So guys what could l be missing out on. I am most interested to know. Could someone please explain what are radial brakes and master cylinders ?
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

KiwiCol

😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Mick_J

My beemer has brembo radial brakes and they are by far the best brakes I have ever used, phenominal  :clapping:
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

KiwiCol

Have a read of the article Mick, says you're more likely to be noticing the stiffer front end.

froudy

Quote from: mjgt on Friday, 15 December  2017, 06:54 PM
My beemer has brembo radial brakes and they are by far the best brakes I have ever used, phenominal  :clapping:

I fitted Radial brakes to my Bandit when I rebuilt it. Now I don't know whether it is just the combination of calipers, wavy discs and pads, but the braking is superb. Only ever need to use one finger and the braking power is amazing.
A mate of mine has a Busa 1st Generation. It had 6 pots as standard and he said they weren't up to much. After riding my Bandit he converted his to Brembo Radial calipers using mounting brackets. He said the transformation was unbelievable.

First photo is my Bandit and the second, my mates Busa.
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

Mick_J

Thanks Col, I've seen that before, the brakes on my beemer are still better than anything else I have used for whatever reason, after that comes my Speed Triple.  The other odd thing is my Speed Triple and MZ use the exact same calipers but different master cyclinders and the Triumph stops a whole lot better than the MZ.  I would say my 1400 has the worst brakes, I was hoping for an improvement when I replaced the rotors and pads, I may change the pads for something different as I am not over impresed with the ferodo's I have fitted.
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

KiwiCol

froudy

Quote from: mjgt on Friday, 15 December  2017, 07:46 PM
I may change the pads for something different as I am not over impresed with the ferodo's I have fitted.

I've always used EBC HH pads and found them to be really good...Might be worth a try :onya:
See my post yesterday for good priced EBC pads on Ebay.

http://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=2090.msg24207;topicseen#new
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

gsxbarmy

Personally I always found SBS Excel pads a tad better than EBC - but difference was negligible in all honesty
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

The-ginger-one

I have started the change from 6 pots to 4 pots and made the mistake of listening to others on another well known social media site. Had spent ages looking for sv 1000 calipers(rarer than rocking horse shite) and some said that cbr600 and blade954 calipers fit.
WELL let me tell you the calipers have the same mounting bolts but the brake discs are different sizes which either means having to change discs aswell.

Dont fall for the trap of everyone that gives advice knows what they taking about.

seth

That's why here is the best
The info is correct and if not soon put right and you can read the whole thread .
It's why I never joined facecloth
Have a good look around buddy as the info he is great and correct .

:cheers:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Mrg

look check and look again  then you see the fool

black14

GSXR600 K3 4 pots bolt up just fine - may be easier to source than SV1000.
:hat:
I plan on living forever - so far, so good!

RickC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk