4-Pot Caliper conversion - Caliper Options

Started by gsxbarmy, Friday, 03 February 2017, 08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kja

Quote from: VladTepes on Thursday, 11 May  2017, 11:18 AM
I have 4-pot Tokico's with the standard M/C and its absolutely fine. As kja says the braking is nice.....

The difference is remarkable, should have done this ages ago.

dangles

Don't see the advantage other than less pressure on the lever which you could achieve with a larger bore master cyl..be interesting to see if braking performance-stopping distance is different..probably be more prone to locking up the front end..

VladTepes

Quote from: dangles on Monday, 15 May  2017, 07:42 PM
be interesting to see if braking performance-stopping distance is different..probably be more prone to locking up the front end..

That's very difficult to assess objectively as it would generally be the case that if people are changing the calipers they would be changing to new pads, and possibly even new rotors at the same time. So if there were any perceived performance increases that could just be a function of those new consumables.

Subjectively speaking my brakes require less pressure which is really nice and allows me to cover the brake with my index finger most of the time - has been quite useful.  I haven't noticed any difference either way in stopping distances / brake effectiveness. It certainly doesn't lock the front more easily. You really have to grab a handful of brake to do that on a dry road.
Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Tony Nitrous

The standard comment about 6-plops is its a maintainence issue.

Personally, I've ridden brand new 14's and Gen-1 Hayabusa's and owned a new Gen-1 Busa.  There 6 pots were never anything special even when brand new.

My Busa has good condition master cylinder and calipers, good pads, fluid and braided lines.  It's not a patch on my other bikes radial brakes, even with 10 year old lines, and fluid and several years neglect.

I prefer 4 pots to 6, but love radial brakes.

BJ

I did mine as well.
Got mine for $300 on fleabag from Germany.
Took them out of the wrapping, didn't even check them.
Put them on, put new Hel lines on, bled the system an all's good.
My bike is not as clean as the one above.
The six pots on the bike when I bought it were crappy.

froudy

I've got a pair of gold 4 pot Nissin callipers in the shed. Got them off a mate cheap. I believe they from a H*nda Fireblade.

Hole spacings are the same as GSX1400 anyway. I just need to find some pad pins, spring pad retaining plates and pads for them..Should be good to go then if I do decide to convert from 6 pot to 4 potters :onya:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

Speedy1959

No doubt a stupid qustion but I assume once the 4 pot conversion is done then the original pads are useless?
Or do I file them down a bit? :devil:

Obviously joking about the filing down...

froudy

Quote from: Speedy1959 on Friday, 01 December  2017, 11:04 PM
No doubt a stupid qustion but I assume once the 4 pot conversion is done then the original pads are useless?
Or do I file them down a bit? :devil:

Obviously joking about the filing down...

Yes..You'd need to source pads for the replacement 4 pot calipers.

Speedy1959

froudy

I've tracked down pad springs, pads and stainless pad pins and caliper bolts for my pair of 4 potters...Going to cost me around £80 on top of the cost of the calipers.
I'll also need stainless bleed nipples and possibly new banjo bolts too if the thread pitch is different...Not a cheap conversion.

I may hold off for the time being as I've already got a 6 pot caliper rebuild kit with pistons and also some pads for them as well :rolleyes:

froudy

I might have just picked up a bargain.
This pair of SV1000 4 potters, posted from Greece to UK for the grand total of 75 Euro all in. Cheaper than getting all the bits I'd need to use the gold set.

Del

Nice buy Froudy were they the ones on the bandit forum
All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

froudy

Del

I was very tempted myself and if I wasnt doing a radial conversion I would have - I did manage to pick up a set of zx636 calipers from the states for $30.00
All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

froudy

I saw them pop up on FB, but the seller wasn't known to me..I was wary.
Then I saw the ad pop up on the Bandit Forum and I knew who it was. Deal has been done and they are on their way to me from sunny Greece :onya:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk