News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

1400 rebuild

Started by Bob, Sunday, 31 March 2019, 07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grog

Bob, think youre the front runner of the year award for persistence against all odds.

Bob

:happy1: good question Froudy
I bought 10ltrs of WD40, only used 5 and everything is off, except manifold bolts, 6 snapped or stuck
Innotec deblock, 2 x 500ml tins both used, it's a plus gas on steroids stuff, we like at the garage
13ltrs brake cleaner

froudy

That's  not bad considering the condition the bike was in. I did similar with a Honda 400/4 years ago. Its soul destroying at times, but stick at it as the end result will be worth the time and effort :onya:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

Bob

Ok....

Front calipers rebuilt, seals, bolts & painted  :onya:

Forks all apart, the top caps are seized, currently soaking in a bath of deblock

Studs in head, I'm worried about these so have managed to get a 2 week trial of a PROPER induction heater (I'm going to weld washers and nuts on to snapped studs 1st) I've seen one working and if anything will help it will be this, I really don't want to have to drill these out, also a guy from the factory next door was in, they have a spark eroder would need to get head off for that tho and that's not in my plans

I've bought some industrial rust remover, will use this on some bits before going to for electroplating, options are silver, gold or BLACK  :cool: :imrgreen:

Speedy1959

H
Those induction heater jobbies seem an amazing bit of kit..
I've watched them in use with success several times on various YouTube channels..

Del

Hi @Bob

you probably know this mate but its good idea to give teh stud as few taps with a hammer when you pass as this allows teh penetrating fluid to get in there and breaks up some for grab the stud has on the head
All Lives Matter
...until you multiply them by the speed of light squared. Then all lives energy.

A 'feuchainn gu cruaidh gus fuck a thoirt seachad - ach gu mì-fhortanach a' fàilligeadh

Bob

Induction heater coming tomorrow, I'm going g to try to do a video but if I fail you tube is your friend  :happy1:

V_i_c_i

Ouch, such rusty bike. But ideal base for original rat bike  :devil:
Finger crossed with renovation.  :hat:

Bob

I've been quietly collecting bits, latest additions today are

Bob

Bob

Try again

Mick_J

Looks good, even tells you which way to fit them  :whistling:
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

GSXKING

They will take some tuning in I assume with all those adjustments  :cheers:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Desert Fox

Quote from: northern on Monday, 01 April  2019, 03:29 AM
@Bob , hope you do not mind, I use your FB pictures and upload them here...
Holy shit. Even Barmy would have a tough time with this

DP1400

Bob, sorry, did you say you bought this bike? ie. you actually paid money for it? :rofl2:

On a more serious note, i`d be really interested in knowing its history - after all not many complete bikes get this neglected. I think one of your photos shows it was last taxed in `06, so what happened after then?

I`d like to think the owner had forgotten where he`d left it after a good night down the pub in 2006, but i`m guessing the truth is rather more tragic than that?

Anyway, good luck with the rebuild  :cheers:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk