News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Vlad's K7 GSX1400 "Back in Black"

Started by VladTepes, Friday, 20 January 2017, 10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooli

Spongy levers are sticky pistons in my experience.

VladTepes

Braided lines Chris. MC has already been sleeved/rebuilt.
(That was by Team Moto though so who knows how good that was...) 

How can I check for sticky pistons?

Would worn pads have the same symptoms? (haven't checked pad width)

I am running 4 pot tokicos on the front nowadays. Wondering if its worth changing back to the 6 pots....?
(Would cost money for powdercoating etc though so I'd prefer not too)

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

steve porter

That you had so little fluid in the M/C it would suggest that the pads must be down to bugger all thickness, pull the pads without pushing pack the pistons and clean the pistons before pushing back for new pads. It will also naturally reverse bleed in case any air is trapped in there

VladTepes

Yeah I reckon that could be it.
Do I need compressors / special tool to push brake pads / pistons back into the caliper or can it be done by hand?

@steve porter   REVERSE bleed? what's that?

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

steve porter

because your fluid was so low it`s highly likely that air got in while cornering, when you push the pistons back in, I use a combination of small G clamps and tyre levers turned sideways, you will push all that fluid back up into the M/C with a 90% chance of any trapped air bubbles with it as air prefers to go up rather than down.

Hooli

If you can't push the pistons back in by hand then there is something wrong with the brakes.

grog

VladTepes

Ah shit.

I just bought some new front pads, ordered to suit the 4 pot GSX-R 600/750 calipers that are on there. I ordered to suit '04-2010.
but SHOULD have checked earlier in teh thread first, where I posted:

Quote from: VladTepes on Saturday, 21 January  2017, 12:10 PM
For future reference:  Suitable direct changeover 4-pots are 01 - 03 GSX-R600 or 00 - 03 GSX-R750

Damn now to see if I can change over.

Edit: So a phone call and it's sorted - pick them up tomorrow.

So To suit GSX-R 600/750 2001-2003: (the calipers I have on my bike, based on the above)
MetalGear: 30-031  Brake Pads Organic Front  x 2
https://www.metalgear.com.au/mgear-brake-pads-organic~42700

To suit GSX1400 rear
MetalGear: 30-046  Brake Pads Organic Front L or Rear
https://www.metalgear.com.au/mgear-brake-pads-organic~42714

I opted to go for the organic pads, based on recommendations on the forum - although MG recommended the sintered as they say organic will wear more quickly (but of course they are also cheaper, so it probably works out about the same overall).
So I'll give the organic a crack and see how they go.

Fingers crossed I have everything correct order-wise.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Hooli

Sintered wears your discs quicker too I believe, so helps their sales.

VladTepes

Picked em up this morning - too late now to go and gran some alloy wheel cleaner and brake cleaner so will have to be a job for tomorrow.
Let's hope it all goes smoothly.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

grog

All confidence Mate, youll rip thru it. As for organic or sintered, no clue from me. I thought my rears, worn out out at 23th ks, were organic. No, theyre sintered. Rotor still like new. Been bloody good but thought a short life. Metal Gear. This time have ordered sintered JP from UK, they say triple the life, will see.

VladTepes

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

VladTepes

So as mentioned in another thread i am in the process of installing new indicators and at the same time trying to diagnose the reason my brake light isn't working properly.

It transpires that both of the LED bulbs have failed, but failed differently. 

One has ALL LEDS on all the time (that is, as if brake was in use), the other has only the tail light LED's with the brake light ones not working at all. 

So the good part of that is that there is evidently no issue with the bike itself :)
but I do need to get some suitable LED bulbs from somewhere.
(I was hoping I'd still have my incandescents somewhere to tide me over but can't find em)

Did I mention I hate electrical stuff?!

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

KiwiCol

Just buy a standard stop tail lamp bulb from Repco or SCA & use that till you can source an LED version you're happy with.  Cost ya $5.00
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

grog

Throw it in the bin Mate. Not worth the hassle. Stock tail unit, 2 Narva LED, works and looks good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk