front brake seal kit

Started by Mick_J, Sunday, 29 October 2023, 01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick_J

I need a new set of seals for my front callipers, has anyone used all balls seals or is there a better recommendation?
Keep the rubber side down.          Mick

grog

Mick, got my caliper kit from SF Parts. Think they are in UK. Everything inc pins.Seems quality to me. Around 50 pounds delivered.

Mick_J

Thanks grog, I am watching them on fleabay, hoping someone had used them without any problems with them.

Eric GSX1400K3

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Hooli

I'm still using mostly original seals. I changed them once when I replaced the pistons but gradually swapped back as they were too hard and picked up damage.

No idea what make I used though.

dave55

Same as Eric , Powerhouse UK Full set of seals for both calipers including new stainless bleed screws with rubber caps and pack of brake grease £62 inc posting UK Fitted with no problems and tested out ok

Mick_J

Well I got my seal kit, took the callipers off but can't get the pistons out.  I've tried using circlip pliers but that didn't work.  I have seen a method using some small sockets but I can't find it.  Can anyone help?

SpongeBob

Quote from: Mick_J on Friday, 24 November  2023, 01:40 AMWell I got my seal kit, took the callipers off but can't get the pistons out.  I've tried using circlip pliers but that didn't work.  I have seen a method using some small sockets but I can't find it.  Can anyone help?

Well, as the workshop manual suggests: using an air compressor -- gently! or at least 1 piston will fly through the shed/garage :-)
One caliper half at a time, with one of your fingers shutting the small hole that normally allows brake fluid to flow to the other half. Not much air pressure is to be applied, so using your finger is fine.
The difficult thing is that there is 3 pistons: if you pop one out, then the others are difficult to pop out, especially the one at the bottom. What I do I hold (tight) the half caliper with pistons facing my palm and using a rag in between the pistons and palm. Then I do short and light blows in the banjo bolt socket so to gently push out pistons evenly until all three are almost out, managing to keep those which tend to come out first still in the caliper. Then you can easily grab them.
Sometimes it may help to do the opposite: cover the banjo bolt socket and gently blow air in the small hole at the bottom, especially to make the 3rd piston move.

Tally

@mick j . Go to brakes section,page 2 caliper service by tally (me),it's all on there including the ratchet method I eventually used. :onya:

Eric GSX1400K3

If they're proper stuck, sometimes pushing them back in a bit helps, but don't bottom them out  as otherwise you won't get them out with air pressure due to stiction.

A small socket and a ratchet with another socket next to it into the piston can be used to turn and twist the piston to free it up from the seals.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Irish in Oz

My method of removing stuck pistons.

20221030_164741.jpg
20221030_164759.jpg

grog

Good old slide hammer Irish👍The sockets in pistons trick works for me, just so easy, one of the best hints ive learned. I use air for cars but never again for bike.

Andre

Quote from: Irish in Oz on Friday, 24 November  2023, 05:42 PMMy method of removing stuck pistons.

My method as well - minus the vise and the slide hammer.

Hooli

I take the pads out. Pump the brakes till the pistons are all touching the discs and then remove the callipers. Doesn't take much to get the out from there.

Mick_J

Thanks lads, I used my compressor to pump them out, after a bit of jiggerypokery I got them out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk