News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

2 up for the first time

Started by Suzuki boi, Tuesday, 29 October 2019, 04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rh4000

I sold my busa to buy the 14, for many reasons but one was because the Misses comes on the back of the bike with me a lot and you probably won't find a better more comfy bike for riding two up. We done 3 weeks in France, Spain and Portugal and was great, make sure tyre pressures are set correctly and WATCH THE FRONT END, with two up and gear the front dose get light and twitchy, top box dose be handy as gives them a bit of security with something behind them but as said make sure she leans and when ye stop make sure she knows to wait till you have both feet on the ground, kickstand down or she gets the nod to hop off, you know yourself if she tries to hop off and your not ready that can be bike on its side territory.

Kiwifruit

@ Rh4000
Basically the bride chose our bike. She wanted a bike that looked like a bike, not one covered in plastic. Early in the search a mate said you need a GSX1400....he would he worked for a Suzuki dealer. But they didnt have one for us to try.
We did the rounds of the bike shops. Thought a Bandit might suit us.  ln the showroom l hopped on one then she hopped on the back. Nope she didnt like it. Then in another row sat a 14..... l hopped on and thought it was a bit big but l said hop on, she did and instantly said yep l like it. That bike wasnt the one for us but we soon found one that was.
We spent a month clocking up 7000kms touring the South Island and we had a ball.
Getting on and off the bike is a process when its so loaded, we have an intercom and always waited to get on and off when l said it was ok to do so.
Suzuki boi, you have a great bike for 2 up riding  :onya:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

DP1400

Hi Kiwifruit,

For two-up riding on a `real` bike the `14 takes some beating i`ll agree. My wife and I luv it! Its a huge machine but its relatively low so is easily manageable and boy, does she eat the miles!

I, (ok we!!) have owned dozens of other bikes previously, from Triples (lots of :smile2:!), GSXR`s & Blades, and the only one thats come close to the `14 for two-up riding in comfort for the two of us with a bit of luggage was our recently sold mint Bandit 1200 K3. That was a fabulous bike. Slightly `taller` than the `14, amazing fun to ride, but with slightly less room. If you ever get chance to ride one, do so, and i`ll bet you`ll want to keep that too!

Enjoy the miles....

Dave.

Suzuki boi

Thanks lads for the replies.
Was meant to go out with her yesterday but had no one to mind the kids!!
Have a top box so she'll have that extra back security.
Altho Im confused on how to tell her whether she should be like a sack of potatoes or move with me?????
Seems mixed opinions here :whatever:
From the replies this bike seems a great 2 up bike!!

Sweaty

Quote from: Suzuki boi on Thursday, 31 October  2019, 06:15 AM
Altho Im confused on how to tell her whether she should be like a sack of potatoes or move with me?????

It's the same thing really. If she is a sack of potatoes, she will move with you on the bike, and that's what you want.
Just tell her to go with you & do not fight against it.
I found it best to get mine to put her arms around me for the first time at least, as this makes them more relaxed & means they have to go with you. If they grab on to the grab rail, they have an automatic tendency to straighten up when leaning in.

steve porter

Quote from: Suzuki boi on Thursday, 31 October  2019, 06:15 AM
Thanks lads for the replies.
Was meant to go out with her yesterday but had no one to mind the kids!!
Have a top box so she'll have that extra back security.
From the replies this bike seems a great 2 up bike!!

The reason I say Sack of potatoes is a lot of first timers try to help by leaning rather than just go with it and let you do the work which can be just as unsettling as someone doing the opposite

KiwiCol

All the above info is really good, ya just might like to explain how the bike goes round corners & what it feels like braking etc, just so she knows what to expect & not 'panic' at the first corner.  By the same token, I wouldn't suggest you scrape the pegs either . . .
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

GSXKING

Mate if your moving around on a 1400 you're riding way to hard to break in a virgin pillion. Just sit upright and ride calmly and instill some confidence in your bride  :onya: :onya: :onya:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Taniwha

I hope your pillion ends up riding better than mine. Sometimes I swear she's trying to sell used cars back there. :lol:
K7 B&W, '84 GPZ550, '12 ZX2,

Boa

I can only echo what most have said on this thread. Your gal needs to think of herself as part of the bike, an addition to the mass that you have to control. I've been lucky with my pillions, however i might add that i'm a crap pillion because in the ony times i've had to ride pillion i've had sub-confidence in the rider  (we're talking kittens).

Ease her into it, choose an easy route, nice sweeping bends and reverse the route if she's cool with it, but come back a little faster.
Aka Chris Leam on the original Org.

Kiwifruit

@ Suzuki boi.
How have you got on riding with your partner.
Trust it all went well and you have her comfortable as your pillion now.
:onya:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

KiwiCol

Or he scared her, couldn't resist the temptation to crack the throttle n scared her n now she won't get on so he now has to ride unencumbered for the rest of his life?   Win win?
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Irish in Oz

I tink he's been busy sorting out his electrical problem.

Beast

Now for the second ride... hang on!
lol.... yeah no chance

Old photo..
Still on the 14

Suzuki boi

Irish was right ,I've been busy with an electrical charging problem :doh:
But my 14 is still on the road every day!
We have planned plenty of times to go 2 up but either the weather starts p**sing rain or there's no one to look after 3 young kids.
One day soon hopefully !!!
I'll let yas know if it goes well or the missus leaves me  :happy1:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk