News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Rear shockers

Started by Wingnut1962, Monday, 23 November 2020, 08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnut1962

Can anyone tell me if the picture of my rear shocker is some kind of extension?
As the centre stand on the bike doesn't even lift the rear wheel off the floor.
Just bought the bike, been neglected and left outside, lots of polishing to try and bring back.
The bike is k2 model.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Glyn

gsxbarmy

Yes - looking at the picture, the previous owner has fitted some alloy riser units in-between the swing arm and the bottom of the suspension unit - take those risers out and you should find that the rear wheel will be lifted off the floor when on the mainstand, and will return the suspension to its standard length (which is 330mm centre to centre)
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Wingnut1962

GSXKING

Get a two foot long two by four piece of timber and align it with centre stand feet. That's how I get my rear tyre off the ground. I've had a lifter kit for 15 years.  :onya: :onya:
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Milts

Hi Glyn,

Your rear shocks certainly don't look original. Perhaps that's why the alloy jack-up blocks have been fitted ??

I too have jack-up blocks fitted to mine (with standard shocks), should you remove the alloy blocks you will certainly notice the difference in effort to get it on the centre stand  :mwink: 

Wingnut1962

Thanks everyone.
Much appreciated

KoZi

First are alloy brackets as guys said.
Second - your shocks aren't original so previous owner can buy an aftermarket longer ones  :onya:

Wingnut1962

So if i takeout the risers the none standard shocks won't fit?

seth

Those shocks should fit if you remove the risers
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Wingnut1962 on Wednesday, 25 November  2020, 06:55 AM
So if i takeout the risers the none standard shocks won't fit?

There is absolutely no reason why they should not fit - however, do be aware that you may - note may - have to slightly prise the 'forks' that the bottom of the shock bolts into on the swing arm; some manufacturers of these jack up blocks make them slightly smaller than the width of the bottom of the shock (that was there) hence in bolting them up, the forks get pulled in slightly. Easy to do and won't cause any damage, but just be aware that it may be necessary to bed the bottom of the shock in the swingarm fork bolt hole.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Wingnut1962

Thanks, will have a go at the weekend.

Wingnut1962

I've found out why the risers have been fitted.
The bike has  twin yoshimura cans on it, and if the springs didn't have the risers on they would foul against the pipes, so looks like it's staying as it is.
But thanks for all the advice.
Glyn

Hooli

You should be able to make them fit, it might need jiggling of the linkpipes & maybe turning the hangers around or spacing them out a bit. I've never seen a bike it couldn't be sorted.

seano

i fitted the same risers on mine about eight years ago, they are meant to make the steering a bit sharper cant say as ive noticed a great deal of difference but i do think they improve the looks of the bike and make it look even bigger which is the result i wanted  :)

Roo

Spotted this on another site,don't know if it has been posted before ?

Cheap chinese knockoff ??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk