News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

The Coromandel Loop

Started by Kiwifruit, Sunday, 30 September 2018, 06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwifruit

Today was the start of daylight saving here in good old New Zealand so instead of being 8 o'clock its 9. The day dawned warm and sunny, so with management visiting her mum in Gisbourne I thought the only decent thing to do was go for a ride.
The All Blacks were playing Argentina and kick off was about 11.45am so I figured I could get to Coromandel and watch the game at one of the pubs. Being a Sunday the traffic was lighter than I expected arriving at the pub in good time.
I left Tauranga and went via Waihi to Paeroa, turning right and heading to Thames. The road up the Thames coast is quite narrow in parts and pretty twisty. Great views to the left looking back across the Firth of Thames to Miranda and Kaiaua. Along the coast if someone did get it wrong you would be in the tide or rocks depending if the tides in. I ride up the western side of the peninsular keeping the coast on your left all the way. Thames to Coromandel Town is 54kms.
Watched the game, was a bit scrappy but a good result for the AB's. Gassed up and got going again.
Its a good road over the top of the Peninsular, lots of corners and the road was clean with a bit of traffic mainly just in ones and twos coming out 28kms away in Kuaotunu. Stopped for a quick piccy then continued on to Whitianga ( the Wh is pronounce as an F) Quick snap at the wharf then heading down the eastern side to Tairua where I stopped for a coffee and a bite to eat.
From Tairua you start heading back towards Thames, taking a left and head towards Whangamata back out to the east coast. Detoured to have look at a couple of small beaches on the way. Straight through Whangamata and now heading to Waihi. Once at Waihi you get back onto State Highway 2 and the traffic is now heavier, moving along OK just quite busy. Through Katikati towards Bethlehem and a stop at the supermarket for some milk and a bit of food for the mogsters (I spoil them while mums away)12.5 kms later I'm home. 
412 km  ride and my bottom side knows its been perched on the bike all day, shoulders are tired too. Far from bike fit !!
I really enjoyed my day out, the bike ran and handled like a thoroughbred. Its now only 500km short of 60,000km and I have to say I cannot think of anything I'd swap it for.
Time for it to get some soapy water and a polish.
The photos I took: first 2 are before you drop down into Coromandel, Coromandel Town, Kuaotuna, Whitianga, Onemana, Whangamata at the wharf and lastly the scoota having a rest back at home.
I did give the bike a pat and say thank you.  :onya:
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Sweaty

What a great way to spend the day Col & looks like some beautiful spots along the way  :onya:

gsxbarmy

Beautiful, just beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it all for real next year
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

ARH

Yep..lovely.... think I'll emigrate  :whistling:

KiwiCol

Cracker ride Col & nice pic's too.  :onya:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Notty

The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

Snapey

The Coromandel loop is a must if you get to NZ but the scenery all over is brilliant.
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

Kiwifruit

It sure is Pete......but its no fun riding it in the summer school holidays.
The change in population of the peninsula over the summer is massive. I would almost consider yesterday as a one off.

I enjoy having the wife onboard, we ride a lot together, bur it was a change to ride solo without fear of the rev limiter cutting in.  :whistling:

Must make an exception to my first statement.....we ride around at Christmas time to look at the Pohutukawa trees in flower. The flowers are bright red and known as 'The New Zealand Christmas Tree'. Pohutukawa trees are a native and the Coromandel coast is covered in them. When they drop their flowers the road from Thames to Coromandel becomes a carpet of red.  Spectacular.

KiwiCol

Something must be wrong with yer bike Col, if the limiter is cutting in at 105Kph.  or is it mph?

seth

Quote from: KiwiCol on Monday, 01 October  2018, 03:29 AM
Something must be wrong with yer bike Col, if the limiter is cutting in at 105Kph.  or is it mph?

It is a black bike  :stir: :rofl2:
Looks a fantastic trip .Great pictures .
:onya:
only a slightly modified gsx1400
oh and a standard one too

Sethbot Postwhore

Snapey

You talk of the Pohutukawa tree Col but one that I liked was this one I discovered at a rest stop. Judging by the route system it look like it should have been dead.
If you look like your passport photo then you're too sick to travel.

Kiwifruit

Its a Pohutukawa Pete. Never ceases to amaze me where they continue to thrive after a landslip.

Kiwifruit

Quote from: KiwiCol on Monday, 01 October  2018, 03:29 AM

Certainly by the latter Col. Can cut in between corners too......... bless her  :smitten:

KiwiCol

Look at it this way, she's saving you money in fines & your licence.    :onya:    No wonder you like track days so much . . . :whistling:

Globalrider

Hasn't Changed Col - great riding!
I need to go somewhere I've not been but won't know until I get there!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk