News:

GSX1400: A Magic Carpet with a Rocket up its Arse

Main Menu

Australian Moto GP

Started by Kiwifruit, Monday, 23 October 2023, 11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwifruit

Rarely do we get free to air live motorsport in NZ. Saturdays MotoGP race was a cracker. Got myself settled to watch the Sunday afternoons racing only to see the rain pouring down and someone dump it on the warm up lap of the Moto 2 race. Rightly they abandoned the race, we were told there was a yellow flag out on every corner. Phillip Island looks like a fabulous track. Real shame they couldn't run the rest of the meeting.
At least common sense prevailed. Nobody wants to see anyone get hurt. Finished up having to watch a replay of Saturdays race then the replay of the All Black's vs Argentina in the rugby.
Could be worse but a shame for you Aussies not being able to run your GP.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Eric GSX1400K3

I just wish they would reschedule that race for earlier in the year/season.  Spring time is the worst, storms and unsettled weather from the southern ocean. Just the wrong time of year.  Makes for interesting racing though but not cool when it gets cancelled.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

GSXKING

Over a long period of time they have had weather issues at anytime of year I've stood in massive puddles at WSBK @ PI.
They should definitely move the time of year but the schedule just gets bigger and bigger.
Costs of getting to Oz astronomical I wouldn't be surprised if we lose both MotGP & WSBK. Massive shortages of volunteers to run a corporate entity event that makes millions.
Just saying.
It's a wonderful track to ride and I've ridden on rental bikes on 7 occasions you def feel like a superstar riding around it.
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

grog

Phillip Island unfortuantly in the path of the Roaring Forties. I lived on King Island for 6 months, exact same weather. That westerly never gives up. Doesnt really matter  what time of year, it just keeps blowing. Its salt air reduces cars, bikes, house stuff to rust in a couple of years.Unreal place to visit.

Notty

Quote from: grog on Monday, 23 October  2023, 07:28 PMIts salt air reduces cars, bikes, house stuff to rust in a couple of years.Unreal place to visit.
Welcome to our world Greg !  :rofl2:
The older I get the better I was
The problem with retirement is that you cant take a day off

VladTepes

Was a genius move swapping the main race and the sprint, so we got a full length race to watch.

And what an awesome race it was!  One of the years best I reckon. 

Quote from: GSXKING on Monday, 23 October  2023, 02:40 PMCosts of getting to Oz astronomical I wouldn't be surprised if we lose both MotGP & WSBK. Massive shortages of volunteers to run a corporate entity event that makes millions.
Just saying.

Ah it's only money and that isn't the big issue especially when they combine other races like Indo, Thai and Malaysia in the same 'trip'.
Most of the $ are from TV not gate takings (as far as the motoGP organisation is concerned) anyway.

Speaking of Indo -  weather is usually like - will it rain heavily or will the monsoon hit? Tis one or the other most years. Weather there is much more problematic that at the island.

Vlad's K7 "Back in Black"

As a Pink Floyd fan, I get annoyed when I see vegetarians eating pudding.

YouTubeLandyVlad Rides

Irish in Oz

My mate used to go the the Island but now goes to Indo as it is so much cheaper.

Batkwaka

I think I budgeted $5000 for tickets, transport and accommodation in 2017 for my Wife and I. Flights I went as cheap as possible but the rest was comfortable as she requires and I hired an R1200 BMW which wasn't cheap. I also had Grandstand tickets that I wanted to use but we used the indoor Box suite tickets I purchased because I know how cold Phillip Island gets.
I hate to think what it would cost me now.
May the sun be warm & shining and your roads be smooth & winding.

grog

My lifelong best Mate went to races on weekend. Watched his beloved Ducati win. He came home and had major heart attack, passed last night. Im in shock but at least he got to finish doing what he liked. We started out on bikes together at school.He would have the most Ducati stuff in the world,everything you could think of. If it wasnt Ducati then it would get a Ducati sticker.RIP Rocket Rod. Hope this is appropriate to post here.

GSXKING

Crikey Grog sounds like he was a dedicated Ducatista commiserations on his passing
Philosophically speaking I think you're correct ✅
GSXKING 3:^)
Chris
Best allrounder I've ever owned 👍

Kiwifruit

Sorry for your loss Grog.
Another great day on the right side of the grass.😎

Eric GSX1400K3

I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

hard road

Quote from: grog on Wednesday, 25 October  2023, 02:38 PMMy lifelong best Mate went to races on weekend. Watched his beloved Ducati win. He came home and had major heart attack, passed last night. Im in shock but at least he got to finish doing what he liked. We started out on bikes together at school.He would have the most Ducati stuff in the world,everything you could think of. If it wasnt Ducati then it would get a Ducati sticker.RIP Rocket Rod. Hope this is appropriate to post here.

thats bad news mate, I know how you feal as ive not long lost my oldest mate, life sucks at times.  :angry:

Batkwaka

Sorry to hear Grog, I wish his loved ones the best.
May the sun be warm & shining and your roads be smooth & winding.

KiwiCol

I'm really sad for you Grog, death sucks, but it's coming to us all eventually, so we have to just live our best life now, don't wait till . . . ? Sounds like Rocket Rod did live his best life, so there's a comfort in that, not much, but some.

Remember all those good times you two had & he'll live on, in your heart and mind.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk