Author Topic: Radial master for 6 pots  (Read 4071 times)

Offline grog

• Forum Donor 2022
  • Needs to get out more
  • If we werent all crazy, we would go insane.
Re: Radial master for 6 pots
« Reply #30 on: Friday, 09 August 2019, 06:49 pm »
Smaller bore gives more pressure but longer travel.

Offline KiwiCol

• Forum Donor 2021
  • Administrator
  • Beer or Bourbon 4 me!
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, 10 August 2019, 04:21 am »
Yeah, I can see that as well Grog, however, is it not about how much displacement of fluid to push the caliper pistons out against the disc? 

The 'easier' braking from a smaller diameter master is correct. EG: human hand can squeeze , say, 10kg (as a figure). Hand squeezing at 10kg acting against a small bore master cylinder will move and displace 'x' amount of fluid over a given distance. The same force exerted against a larger bore will move correspondingly less distance, but because the bore is larger, the same amount of fluid will be displaced.

Now, the difference is, 'big bore' requires a bit more of a stronger hand to pull the brakes on, smaller bore requires less effort but you have to pull the handle in further to achieve the same effect. 
I'm not saying this in a derogatory way at all, as we all age, our hands don't operate like we were 25 years old, they stiffen up, lots of us have arthritis etc & I can see where not being able to squeeze the brake lever as firmly as previous would come in, but you'd also have to remember the further travel, your hands / fingers have to contract tighter against the bar to achieve braking force.
I'm all for better brakes, but from my perspective, putting a small bore master isn't going to give you better brakes, it would give you easier clamping force with further to pull the lever in.

Each to their own though.   :onya:
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Offline grog

• Forum Donor 2022
  • Needs to get out more
  • If we werent all crazy, we would go insane.
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, 10 August 2019, 04:58 pm »
I agree Col, im just experimenting on that balance, travel v pressure. Just something i wanted to try. Might end up nowhere.

Offline ouch

• Just Cruisin'
« Reply #33 on: Monday, 12 August 2019, 05:32 am »
Have just bought one of these to replace my existing brembo, i love the fact it's bore adjustable 19-20-21 , just waiting for new lines then will do a write up,
On a side note have stripped and rebuilt my 6pots so there at there best, Now don't all shoot me but surely suzuki would have fitted 4pots in the first place if these were not upto the job letting alone fitting them to Hayabusa the fastest bike they produce  ?
I myself considered  the swap to 4 pot nissins , but after speaking to trusted people,  they all agreed the 6 pots require more maintenance but are better when kept in top condition, maybe for the way we ride the 14's 4 pots are easier as we rack up more miles ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
anything