Clutch noise

Started by Heavy haulier, Saturday, 08 July 2023, 01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heavy haulier

Hi all

Anybody shed some light on this topic.

Bike has sat for a while and been started periodically but on starting today a scraping noise (best way to describe it) was heard coming from clutch cover area. Turned engine off and reverted to the forum for some possible answers. Bike is K4 model 2004

TIA. Kenny

hard road

Quote from: Heavy haulier on Saturday, 08 July  2023, 01:51 AMHi all

Anybody shed some light on this topic.

Bike has sat for a while and been started periodically but on starting today a scraping noise (best way to describe it) was heard coming from clutch cover area. Turned engine off and reverted to the forum for some possible answers. Bike is K4 model 2004

TIA. Kenny

you shouldn't be asking questions !!! you should be taking the clutch cover off before you do anything else.

Heavy haulier

I'm sorry........ Was only asking b4 I did anything to see if anyone could give possible causes

hard road

Quote from: Heavy haulier on Saturday, 08 July  2023, 03:41 AMI'm sorry........ Was only asking b4 I did anything to see if anyone could give possible causes

no need to be sorry  ;)  any scraping noise is not good !!!! it means metal against metal, could be one of the clutch pressure plate bolts has come loose and touching the cover, could also be a dry bearing. 

gsxbarmy

Is the clutch lever working ok (or seeming to) - haven't heard of this before (although its entirely possible what @hard road suggested - other possibility is that the clutch push rod may be sticking slightly, if this is the case, then you need to take the chain sprocket cover off, then the slave cylinder, extract the clutch push rod and give it a good clean (often it gets clogged with chain grease).

In all my years on this and the previous forum, I've never heard of this sort of occurence, so its a bit unique!

Maybe first try operating the clutch a few times - that may free it. Also, what happens if you operate the clutch when the bike is running - does the noise stop, no difference?
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Andre

Wouldn't start the engine without taking clutch cover off and take a look first.

Is gear shifting ok? Try without starting the engine. Gearshift shaft return spring could be broken. I know a couple cases where that happened. If it is, then piece of the spring lying loose in the clutch area can cause the noise. See page 3-38 in the service manual (you'll find it in the download section of the forum).

grog

Have a look Mate. Totally necessary.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk