News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Clean out your Fuel Filters and Tank - and other tips!

Started by gsxbarmy, Tuesday, 14 February 2017, 10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Almost on Friday, 17 February  2023, 06:43 AM
Quote from: KiwiCol on Friday, 17 February  2023, 05:23 AM
Taking the tank off the bike & removing the internals is a very straight forward (dare I say easy?) thing to do.   A handy link to the procedure is attached.

https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=430.0
Cheers  🍻 But all I want to do is remove the old fuel. What do I have to do turn The tank upside down.
I have the tank off but I'm used to having a tap I've never had a Fuel pump before

You can just turn the tank upside down - however, that is still likely to leave some fuel in the tank due to the way the filler is designed.
Taking the internals out will enable all the old fuel to be removed, but also enable you to check the state of the pump and the "tea bag" filter in there as well as flush out any detriment that may still be in the tank. Entirely your choice, but whilst you have the tank off, it is a good idea to check all is good and clean inside, including the internal, before filling with new fuel.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Almost

Quote from: gsxbarmy on Friday, 17 February  2023, 08:44 AM
Quote from: Almost on Friday, 17 February  2023, 06:43 AM
Quote from: KiwiCol on Friday, 17 February  2023, 05:23 AM
Taking the tank off the bike & removing the internals is a very straight forward (dare I say easy?) thing to do.   A handy link to the procedure is attached.

https://gsx1400owners.org/forum/index.php?topic=430.0
Cheers  🍻 But all I want to do is remove the old fuel. What do I have to do turn The tank upside down.
I have the tank off but I'm used to having a tap I've never had a Fuel pump before

You can just turn the tank upside down - however, that is still likely to leave some fuel in the tank due to the way the filler is designed.
Taking the internals out will enable all the old fuel to be removed, but also enable you to check the state of the pump and the "tea bag" filter in there as well as flush out any detriment that may still be in the tank. Entirely your choice, but whilst you have the tank off, it is a good idea to check all is good and clean inside, including the internal, before filling with new fuel.
I read your post which was really excellent and in depth but wasn't sure if there was a easier way to remove the old fuel.
Okay I will bite the  bullet and follow  your guidance.
What's the worst that can happen , apart bending you ear if I run into trouble. 😃
Cheers

KiwiCol

The most awkward bit is undoing those bloody fuel hose clips, usually give me grief, but ya get there eventually.
😎  Always looking for the next corner.  😎

Eric GSX1400K3

If you have the tank off already set it on the bench or a level surface up on two blocks of wood to get it high enough. If you them disconnect the low pressure rubber hose that runs from the rear of the tank that runs to the fuel pump fuel will flow from the spigot at the rear of the tank and from the tube. Saves turning the tank upside down and potentially dropping it.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

grog

Eric, is that hose 8mm? Havent fitted filter yet but new hose seem a must idea at same time.

Hooli

I had that hose split halfway around the north of Scotland, so yeah replacing it at some sort of interval is a good idea.

Andre

Quote from: Almost on Friday, 17 February  2023, 04:36 AM
Can someone please tell me how I drain the fuel out of the tank. I wanna do it without removing  the pump or filter (if that's even the way)
Thanks in advance.

@Almost

For removing the fuel without taking the tank off: Follow the steps in the manual (available in the download section) on page 4-50 "FUEL DISCHARGE AMOUNT INSPECTION".

Eric GSX1400K3

Quote from: grog on Friday, 17 February  2023, 07:00 PM
Eric, is that hose 8mm? Havent fitted filter yet but new hose seem a must idea at same time.
believe so, I didn't replace as I didn't have any at the time, looked fine, but probably a good idea, be coming up to 20yo hose I guess.
I try to take one day at a time, however sometimes several days catch up with me at once.

Almost

Quote from: Andre on Friday, 17 February  2023, 07:42 PM
Can someone please tell me how I drain the fuel out of the tank. I wanna do it without removing  the pump or filter (if that's even the way)
Thanks in advance.

@Almost

For removing the fuel without taking the tank off: Follow the steps in the manual (available in the download section) on page 4-50 "FUEL DISCHARGE AMOUNT INSPECTION".

Thank you kindly Sir.
I just had a look It's beyond me because I'm coloured blind I can't work out which one is the power cable.

Almost

Thanks in advance.

@Almost

Thank you kindly Sir.
I just had a look It's beyond me because I'm coloured blind I can't work out which one is the power cable. plus my ecm is slightly  different  from the one I see in the manual

Almost

Thanks in advance.

@Almost

Cheers  bro. V helpful.

MickyJB

Followed the instructions to remove the pump and filters, tea bag was full and coated with muck and the high pressure filter also flows out brown gunk when cleaned.

Hopefully I can get it all back together and this fixes the issues the bike has had. Jerking and won't rev cleanly past 5000rpm.
Mick
08 Special Edition
Ulysses 69619

Eric GSX1400K3

Next step is the hp filter bypass mod, worth doing.

grog

Micky great work. IMO only, hp filter is weakest link in a 14.Cleaning it out just temp fix, it wont be perfect. External filter mod all on here, best thing ive done to mine.Can of worms for some.If thats not an option, can remember someone found replacement hi pressure filter for not much money. Genuine is  stupid price.Someone will remember link to cheaper, id be getting one.Youll be amazed how much better bike goes.I think Seth knows place for cheap tea bags also.

Hooli

These are the cheap ones grog means https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285794895127?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=gxhxa546twi&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=PsBv5obTS2S&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'm sure you can find them closer than the UK though. Busa filters are identical in how they fit, the only difference is two blind threaded brass inserts in the top that the Busa fuel level sensor fits too, you can ignore them when fitting it to a 14. I've got one on my shelf waiting for when I next need one (I'm on the 3rd filter in my 14 & think i get about 70k miles from them).

If you've not seen it, the Seth mod of putting a small cheap fuel filter in the low pressure line from the back of the tank to the swirl pot is worth doing too. It'll catch most of the crap before it gets to the teabag. Just make sure it's a small filter or it'll get crushed against the frame tubes as I found out the hard way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk