News:

20 January 2024 - the forum is now 7 years old. Time flies.

Main Menu

Refit a mainstand

Started by gsxbarmy, Friday, 03 February 2017, 08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gsxbarmy

HOW TO Refit a mainstand

Hopefully this approach makes it a little easier to refit a main stand.

We all know about the washers in the spring to make it easier to fit. But what if the spring is off and there are no washers in it? Simple. Put your 14 up on a paddock stand and fit the main stand without the spring. Once fitted, put the spring on the top fitting and then put the bottom of the spring around a screwdriver shaft. Now lever the spring down after putting the screwdriver under the cross piece of the stand. If you have a small hammer to hand, just tap the spring down the shaft of the screwdriver until it touches the main stand, the spring will open more, and it will be easier to hold. Make sure you have an ample supply of washers handy and fit them in either side of the spring.

Ok, that will get the end of the spring to within about 3/4" of the main stand. And it still won't fit easy. So......

Remove the stand. Find a bolt the same size as the main stand bolt. Now offer up the main stand and fit the spring. Push the spare bolt you have found through the other side (to the way the normal bolt fits). Now use the size of the stand to lever it back and push in the normal main stand bolt. Easy, across it goes, may need a tap on the way to help.

Finally (and this is for the boys who swap their later model 14's to twin can and want a centre stand - I've found that a 3mm deep strip of alloy araldited across the back of the main stand (at the top where it rests against the stops under the frame) gives you just that little extra bit of clearance necessary for the stand NOT to whack your link pipes - and hold the stand in the right position.
Nothing to do.............all day to do it....I love retirement :lol:

Mrg

hi  how is it that some 1400 main stands ive seen on the org pic , when the bike is on the main stand  the back wheel is off the ground 

but when mine is on the main stand my back wheel is still in contact with  the floor  and i cant rotate the back wheel ;; ie cleaning or chain work  :confused1:
look check and look again  then you see the fool

coldhands

Thats a strange one !!!!! ,when on the main stand the rear wheel should be off the ground ,perhaps yours is a bit bent or something,hopefully someone will come up with the answer. :onya:
Remember every car driver wants to knock you off !!!!

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Mrg on Tuesday, 21 February  2017, 05:57 AM
hi  how is it that some 1400 main stands ive seen on the org pic , when the bike is on the main stand  the back wheel is off the ground 

but when mine is on the main stand my back wheel is still in contact with  the floor  and i cant rotate the back wheel ;; ie cleaning or chain work  :confused1:

Do you have a jack up kit fitted or have your shocks been changed?

Its possible if you shocks have been changed that whoever fitted the shocks fitted taller than normal rear suspension - standard is 330mm eye to eye - some fit taller suspension to give a higher tail end and (arguably) faster turn in to corners (the taller suspension is the same as fitting jack up blocks).
Either of those would cause your rear wheel to sit on the ground when on the mainstand

Mrg

gsxbarmy you have  hit the nail on the head

the bike id fitted with jack ups ... this was on the bike before i got it so .. ive never really  took this into consideration

so i take it all i can do is remove the jack ups  if i wont to get the bike off the ground with just the main stand

at the moment i use a nice thick block of wood to do the job

overall the bike is steady when its on the main stand,, and when on  the main its ok   but should it be of the ground more       

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Mrg on Tuesday, 21 February  2017, 06:49 AM
gsxbarmy you have  hit the nail on the head

the bike id fitted with jack ups ... this was on the bike before i got it so .. ive never really  took this into consideration

so i take it all i can do is remove the jack ups  if i wont to get the bike off the ground with just the main stand

at the moment i use a nice thick block of wood to do the job

overall the bike is steady when its on the main stand,, and when on  the main its ok   but should it be of the ground more     

Take the jack ups off, and you would return to normal and yes your rear wheel would be off the ground then when you put the bike on the mainstand - you may even prefer it as many found with jack ups that it could lead to weaving at speed. Personally I was never a fan, the higher backend looked good but I hated the faster turn in and the wobbling at speed. So mine lasted about 2 miles when I had them before they came off and stayed off.

If you do remove them, then do check your chain adjustment afterwards.

On the old org, I think it was AlfaDave suggested that they also led to higher chain/sprocket wear, but I couldn't comment as I don't know.

A quick tip if you do decide to remove them. Place a shovel under the rear wheel when it is on the mainstand, then remove the jackup kit. if then you push down onthe handle of the shovel, it will raise the rear wheel up, making it easier to re-insert the lower shock bolts  :onya:

Mrg

thank you you are the man  :clapping:
i will be taken them off as you pointed out ref the handling yes i think you right ;
and thanks you for the tip on the removal  job to that will help cheers  :onya:

Celtic32

My main stand has some blocks welded on the feet from when a previous owner had jack up blocks fitted. I only fit the stand to get the rear wheel up but it makes it a bit more awkward with the jack up blocks off now.

Mrg

well the jackups have being taken off

and the use off the spade  was a good tip thanks gsxbarmy   :onya:

checked the chain and re adjusted , and now i can feel the ground with a solid foot, nice  :onya:   

and it feels better in the ride to so all good this end

and yes the main stand on and the back wheel off the ground  cool  :boogie:

cheers guys   beers on me   :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

froudy

The centre stand was the very first thing I refitted to my frame when I rebuilt it earlier this year...It's still a b*stard even with the frame upside down :furious:
Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups!

gsxbarmy

Quote from: Mrg on Wednesday, 22 February  2017, 05:47 AM
well the jackups have being taken off

and the use off the spade  was a good tip thanks gsxbarmy   :onya:

checked the chain and re adjusted , and now i can feel the ground with a solid foot, nice  :onya:   

and it feels better in the ride to so all good this end

and yes the main stand on and the back wheel off the ground  cool  :boogie:

cheers guys   beers on me   :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Well done MRG, glad all is well - think I'll grab an Adnams IPA with you buddy, cheers!!

rollerfish01

Recently I fitted the main stand with another method learn from here:
http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=1619.0

as I have no (mucsle) special tools or other related equipment on the job, I tried this method several times (diff pulling angles/ fitting way) and finally i got the skill and get the job done.  :)

1. At first I want to pull 2 springs at once, but it was too hard for me (and the string?) ;
2. Put some grease on the string and the spring make the thing easier a bit;
3. I do the smaller spring first then the bigger one.
(Beware should use a strong string or if it break suddenly it may let you pulling arm hitting something.)

oldskool

what coins did you use EUROS? BAHAHAHA
Better to burn out than to fade away

oldskool

I did this a week ago.
Found it easier to offer up the stand with the springs in place, then use a screwdriver or podge bar in the opposite side the bolt does in to hold in place then pull the stand and push pivot bolt into place .

2p
Better to burn out than to fade away

rollerfish01

Quote from: oldskool on Monday, 10 April  2017, 08:46 PM
what coins did you use EUROS? BAHAHAHA

Actually these few coins didn't help much and it's difficult for me to put more coins into both springs together.  :whatever: :whatever:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk